An Egyptian story

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sameeh55, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

#41     Feb 5, 2011
  2. Yet you aren't in favor of a free and fair vote to secede from the Union. Funny how the US regime is in favor of secession in Sudan, but the slightest hint of secession in the USA is attacked at "treason".

#42     Feb 5, 2011
  3. That's very true in many cases. Many law enforcement personnel are scum. People who actively seek authority and have an intrinsic desire for power are indeed scum.

#43     Feb 5, 2011
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Out here in Cali the prison guard unions actually lobby in Sacramento for longer prison terms to enhance their gig. They deliberately understaff the prisons so the guards can get massive overtime.

Ricter may even be laughing at my posts because with overtime, pension and various allowances he probably made as much money as I have (ok, not bloody likely :D). Its a clear indication of the problem with unions and the prison guard and teachers unions are the worst of all.

A guy sits in prison here for simple marijuana possession and the guards bilk the state taxpayers out of millions to guard him. Its a racket and should literally be subject to racketeering laws.

#44     Feb 5, 2011
  5. Yeah, I hear they just desegregated LA County jail. Will be interesting to see how that pans out. It was remarkably safe given the inmates who were kept there. Will be interesting to see how these measures affect the safety of the facility.

#45     Feb 5, 2011
  6. <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHZbZm69PCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#46     Feb 7, 2011
  7. <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mhr09pHJf78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#47     Feb 7, 2011
  8. So it's a good thing that no one rigged the elections against Hitler in 1933, and the German people were allowed to 'work out the process over time'?

This is somewhat of a devil's advocate type argument, since I do recognize the value of democracy. However, free and fair elections can be very risky in certain specific situations.

#48     Feb 10, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

You make an excellent point. Freedom and security are in "dynamic tension". Sometimes freedom gets too much... freedom.

; )

#49     Feb 10, 2011
  10. Yes, actually in the long run, it is good that we don't get involved in the elections of other countries.

If it is a good thing, then it would be good when China has the power to rig our elections in their best interest, right?

Is this to say that Hitler's rise to power was a good thing? Of course not, but unless we as a national favor another nation dictating our course of events...then we really have no business dictating the course of events of other nations.

This is where your logic fails repeatedly, simply because the self righteous are certain they are right to influence the lives of others, but can't stand it when someone tries to do the same to them.

Golden rule...

Like I've said before, as much as I think someone like Sarah Palin would destroy our country, even Ron Paul would send us back to the stone ages, I don't think that some outside force should rig our elections simply because they think it would be in their best interests to do so.

Free and fair, means just that.

I also find it odd that so called libertarians would even think of rigging the elections of other countries...as if it were their business to do so?

#50     Feb 10, 2011