An Anomaly in Democrat's Thinking

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Not that there aren't tons of anomalies for the democrats on countless issues, but this one is so obvious and it is easily verifiable.

We have heard the steady gloat fest from the democrats saying that the republican party is dead and that they are an only a regional party. Simply look at the posts from the democrats on this forum over the last few months and it is impossible to miss the trend. They run their mouths about how the republicans can only win in the south and thats it and yada, yada, yada.

Now we have news on the 2009 Governor’s Race in New Jersey and the republican candidate is not only ahead, but ahead by a lot over the incumbent governor.

How could a party that can only win in the south be leading by a large margin in a north eastern state. It just doesn't make sense democrats.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub.../new_jersey/election_2009_new_jersey_governor

"Fresh from his primary victory over Steve Lonegan, Republican Chris Christie enjoys a double-digit lead over Democrat Jon Corzine in the New Jersey Governor’s race.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey in the state shows Christie with 51% of the vote while Corzine is supported by 38%. Last month, before the primary, it was Christie with 47% of the vote and Corzine with 38%. The slight increase in support for Christie may reflect a temporary bounce from his primary victory. "

2. This will be an interesting race to watch. To me, Christie is the type of moderate Republican that can get elected. He beat out what I call is the typical super conservative in the primary. That guy ran in part on the "flat tax" vs issues near and dear to NJites, ie, property taxes being near the highest in the nation.

According to the composite polls at RCP, the lead is around 8%, actually not very big at this stage, considering how poorly Corzine did during his term as Gov.

Corzine is suffering from not delivering on campaign promised property tax reductions and the fallout of the crappy economy.

All in all, it'll be a fun one to watch.

Christie is making pipedream promises which could backfire on him. EG-he will get job growth by cutting business taxes. In NJ (I lived and worked there for about 9 years), this is a huge problem.

However, cutting business taxes means either cutting spending or raising someone elses taxes ( see comment about high property taxes. )
    In addition, NJ has very high income taxes. So, Corzine will likely spin this as putting more burden on the already overburdened individual via higher property and income taxes.

Christie has another serious problem and that is campaign finance. He will be limited to about $10.9 million in public funds while the very wealthy Corzine has no limit in spending his personal fortune, something he has been willing to do.

NJ is somewhat unique in that it has no major TV stations; therefore, candidates have to buy from either the NYC or Philly stations with the NYC being the most expensive in the nation. This clearly is a disadvantage for Christie.
    Also, Corzine will likely bring in Obama. As you know, the big O. has huge popular support.

This will be a very closely watched election. IMO, if Christie wins and I think he can and actually hope he will, it will have national implications for the GOP by making easier for the so called impure moderates to run.

BTW-Reps can and do win north of the Mason Dixon line, just not very often.

Peace,
    Seneca

3. U already astutely explained it in your thread title. It is an anomaly.

4. The R party is not dead, just going through what will hopefully be good housecleaning of ideas and methods. I think it's more that so many long time republicans are now calling themselves indpendent vs. turning democrat. And the more liberal R's will likely regroup and get back in the game at some point. What is it now, about 20-25% claim to be R's these days

c

5. My Over/under is 21.

10/11

Side bets for redneck states. All served.

6. kut2k2

kut2k2

7. racist bastard ...

chickens need legal representation, NOT outdated, crass, unsympathetic cliches'

8. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep..._governor_corzine_vs_christie-1051.html#polls

Poll Date Sample Christie (R) Corzine (D) Daggett (I) Spread
    RCP Average 9/23 - 10/5 -- 42.3 39.8 11.0 Christie +2.5
    Fairleigh Dickinson 9/28 - 10/5 667 LV 37 38 17 Corzine +1
    Daily Kos/R2000 9/28 - 9/30 600 LV 46 42 7 Christie +4
    Monmouth/Gannett 9/24 - 9/29 527 LV 43 40 8 Christie +3
    Quinnipiac 9/23 - 9/28 1188 LV 43 39 12 Christie +4

9. Arnie

Arnie