An Anectode That Speaks Volumes: Dollar Store Puts My Local Hallmark Store Out of Biz

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 8, 2009.

1. But do you know where these store brand foods come from? They could come from some factory in China! :eek:

#31     Jul 10, 2009
  2. Let me tell you something - I see professionals driving BMWs who have no shame whipping out coupons and shopping somewhere, anywhere, if it saves them a few bucks.

There is no shame in spending less and not caring who sees you doing it anymore.

In fact, spending more is not deemed foolish.

#32     Jul 10, 2009
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

Wow, this idea of not spending anymore than you need to seems way out there. It's like we have entered a new age of enlightenment. I mean, who could have come up with such a new and crazy concept? Certainly you'd have to be a super genius to "think outside the box" like this!

#33     Jul 10, 2009
  4. We've been conditioned. Going to the mall is a "cultural" event. People think eating and buying things is a skill.

#34     Jul 10, 2009
  5. Au Contraire, Mon Frere!

I couldn't believe this coming across my RSS feed. Credit card companies tracking you (like google) and where you shop and cutting credit lines/jacking up interest rates because you don't shop at a high priced retailer? Not only is it flawed reasoning by the credit card company, it just speaks volumes to the precepts behind the last 20 years of expansion which are resembling a failed economy (to me, anyway).

Thrift Store Purchases Could Hurt Cardholders
    Some Credit Card Companies Track Purchases At Thrift Stores

http://www.wesh.com/money/20000575/detail.html

#36     Jul 10, 2009