An Anectode That Speaks Volumes: Dollar Store Puts My Local Hallmark Store Out of Biz

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jul 8, 2009.

1. We have a ton of stores about two mile from where I live, although the lots are bigger and density less tight where I live. Mind you, the average household income is relatively high where I live, and I'd say the average house sits on a 1/2 acre to 1 acre lot, and is 3,000 square feet. Many homes exceed 5,000 square feet.

I noticed yesterday that the Hallmark Store is going out of business, and this is after the fact that a Dollar Store opened up across the street.

I was in Hallmark and a youngish girl working the counter looked amenable to conversation. As I was purchasing my card (someone's wedding is this weekend), I asked her why they were closing.

She told me that the Dollar Store was selling greeting cards for 50 cents and that they also sold party supplies, balloons, wrapping paper, figurines, stuffed animals, candles and everything else that they did, at a fraction of the cost (I'm paraphrasing).

There was no one in the Hallmark store. This Hallmark Store has been open for at least 7 years.

As I left the empty Hallmark Store with my $4.79 wedding card, I drove by the Dollar Store and noticed at least 15 cars immediately in front of that business with people walking in and out.

...The 'new American normal.'

2. We have a 99Cent store in town, VERY busy. They even have milk and a limited selection of veggies and fruit.
    Our Hallmark store closed down cuz of Big Lots, then because of the dollar general and the 99 cent store, Big Lots closed.

3. Mercor

Mercor

Greeting cards are a commodity.

How did Hallmark miss the boat?

4. Arnie

Arnie

I haven't been in Hallmark store in years, but I always wondered how they made it selling that stuff. They were some of the most expensive franchises when they first came out.

5. Do you have any Aldi's in your area?

It's basically a 14,000 square foot mini grocery store that sells stuff for about 1/2 of what Kroger's does.

They don't have everything a full supermarket does, but they have way more than Walgreen's or convenience stores; things like fresh meat, produce, and dairy products. They basically have everything 80% of people buy at the grocery store, and skip the frilly stuff. It's literally a reduced Kroger's.

It was born in Germany in the aftermath of WWII, when Germany was still bombed out.

They cut costs to the bone. If you don't bring your own box or bags, they charge you 10 cents per bag.

Aldi's is absolutely crammed full of customers.

Milk for $1.69 a gallon and eggs for .79 cent per dozen. The meat and produce is about 60% to 70% the cost of supermarket prices, too.

6. Auldi has run Cub foods out of town.

There were five Krogers in our town. Now there r three.

No hallmark stores, and StarBucks was killed by Dunkin Donuts, so yeah, there is a trend.

7. They can keep their meat, too. I wouldn't touch Walmart's meat either. Carbon monoxide gassed shit. Bleh! :(

8. Most supermarkets use carbon monoxide to keep their meat and fish looking fresh.

Sushi restaurants use massive amounts on their fish. It's a standard practice.

Ever notice that the prepackaged hamburger is red on the outside, but brown or gray on the inside? That's because the meat department takes lumps of discolored hamburger and wraps it in freshly produced burger.

9. When people switch from Hallmark to Dollar Store cars....

Lower prices !!!

Higher Real Wages !!!

... no?

... but the CPI says so...

10. da-net

da-net

I thought Cub Foods went bankrupt over 5 years ago. Aldi has only been in our area about 2 years, but their stores have a bad smell and wife complained, they did not listen so she won't return.

We were a long time (decades) customer of Kroger until they attacked my wife in their store. Then I learned what they are really like. Think I'm wrong, go to your local law library and research Kroger...currently about 800 cases involving everything concievable from discrimination, spying on employees in bathrooms w/ cameras to failing to maintain premises and injuring customers (largest group), to buying limited copies of software and reverse engineering it.

Research also at OSHA, lots of formal & informal complaints by employees. then try this forum for employees (mostly anonymous), you will be shocked as I was to learn the truth about Kroger.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=17527&p=1&a=45

needless to say we quit shopping @ Kroger after they attacked my wife. We now shop @ Publix and Ingles.

#10     Jul 8, 2009