An All-new eSignal Launches...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JayF_eSignal, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Well, I decided to give it another try. I am dead drunk. If it's intuitive, even a drunk should be able to make it work, right? So I decided to transfer my entire trading screen over from 10.6 to 11. I didn't get very far. I was entering studies onto a chart somewhat randomly from memory, knowing that in 10.6 I can reorder them properly. In 11 you do this with Format Object. Well, guess what? You can move a study down on the chart from where you entered it, but you can't move it up!

#51     Jan 15, 2011
  2. This simple code I use in 10.6:

//priceingold last change 11/24/10
    var starttime=0;var stoptime=2400;
    var gold;
    function preMain()
    {
    setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.black);setComputeOnClose(true);setPlotType(PLOTTYPE_SQUAREWAVE);
    }
    function main()
    {
    gold=close()/close("gc #f");
    return gold;
    }

which prices another instrument in gold, gives an error message. Presumably because it couldn't pull up GC. But it works with euro-the-dollar, 6e #f. It doesn't work with CL, either.

#52     Jan 15, 2011
  3. In 11, I cannot squeeze a chart horizontally as small as I can in 10.6. Important for squeezing in small informative charts, like on other instruments than what you trade.

#53     Jan 15, 2011
  4. Arthur

Just drag the study up or down while holding down Ctrl.

#54     Jan 15, 2011
  5. BSAM

BSAM

I wish eSignal would stop introducing all new versions and instead introduce some all new better pricing.

#55     Jan 16, 2011
  6. Thank for correcting me. Told you it wasn't intuitive to a drunk.

#56     Jan 16, 2011
  7. Here's another one. Save a page, close the program, reopen it, and the price compressions don't restore the way they were saved.

#57     Jan 16, 2011
  8. The attached file is a rough comparison of the way my screen looks in 10.6 (top) vs. in 11 (bottom). The two look different in some respects because the 10.6 represents intraday data and the 11 was loaded on the weekend. It may not look like much difference to you, but to me 11 is wasteful of screen space. Study heights cannot be compressed as much. There is wasted space around the border. You can't pull a pane off to the side without triggering the space-wasting scroll bars. Price scaling doesn't save. Minimized panes take more vertical space. Some EFS statements don't work. Just as a WAG I think I am losing about 10% usable screen area in 11. Can I live with that? I may not, now that my aggravation has motivated me to look at NinjaTrader. I see a REAL backtesting platform there with the ability to automate the backtesting. And the ability to automate trading.

#58     Jan 16, 2011
  9. I imagine you click and expand all of those compressed studies in order to read them. If so, you might find the Stacked Studies' feature useful. It's in the 'Chart ' menu. You can have all of your studies tabbed at the bottom of your charts.

#59     Jan 16, 2011
  10. NinjaTrader's lease price of $50 plus their data price of $50 beats ES handily.

#60     Jan 16, 2011