An All-new eSignal Launches...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JayF_eSignal, Jan 6, 2011.

1. In the South we have an expression: "Vote with your feet." What it means is that sometimes you find yourself in an untenable politcal or social climate that you have no hope of changing. So you move. And that is exactly what I am going to do if the current near-flawless functionality and efficiency of 10.6 is lost in 11. Having been immersed in ESignal for so long, I am pleasantly surprised from a quick search to find what appear to be viable, if painful, alternatives.

#41     Jan 10, 2011
  2. I'll bet ya a nickel to a dime they'll get it right. After all I guess some of the same guys who built 8 and 10 are still there, so they have the expertise.
    Have patience Arthur, the South will rise again!!

#42     Jan 10, 2011
  3. Doan haff no dime ter bet. Spint it own ma minnit-ba-minnit intanet assess ta look up Ninjer Trayder. Mighty fine lookin'!

#43     Jan 10, 2011
  4. Samsara

Samsara

NT's hosting some <a href="http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=213309">webinars</a> soon, Art Deco.

#44     Jan 10, 2011
  5. Thanks. I am reading through their manual now. I had no idea that even including data it is cheaper than ES.

#45     Jan 10, 2011
  6. Samsara

Samsara

Yes, that's my main reason for exploring NT, in addition to the depth of the strategy analyzer. I'm not sure how <i>much</i> of a savings it may turn out to be yet, given my data needs, and if you're making money the expense for any of these products is acceptable. But I've been forking over $ to EZSignal out of my profits for years, knowing I can get better value if these are truly monopolistic competitive products. Plus they recently raised prices, and you know they will continue to do so down the road. Better nip the cost inflation in the bud now.

If as you indicate debugprntln and playsound don't even work right in 11, among other things, that doesn't bode well for the rest of my script functionality. Good enough reason to start diversifying.

Knowing C# may be an asset down the road in itself anyway.

Eh, those are my thoughts.

#46     Jan 10, 2011
  7. I applaud NT for making their platform free with your own feed. They pay version is for if you want to place trades from their platform.

I tried NT with my IB feed. Every one has their own needs, but I found NT very weak, specially with IB. I never understood why it didn't recognize stock symbols other than the big cap ones. I had to import each symbol into NT. A real pain. Then they pointed me to their forum where someone had made a text list of all the stock symbols over $5 on each exchange (NYSE and Nasdaq, no AMEX). You could import the entire list at once so you don't have to do each stock individually. But that was an older post and didn't include all the IPOs since then. Studying their forums showed this bug existed on with the IB feed.

As a daytrader that needs to jump on news, I found this to be a total pain. Their watch lists and charts also leave a lot to be desired. But then again, my needs are probably different than yours.

NT may be cheaper even with subscribing to a data feed than e-signal. But I still find e-signal so much more robust. I like their data feed as well.

I really don't see what all the bitching is about. I highly doubt they'll get rid of version 10 anytime soon. Probably not for years to come. There is no way they would pull such a stupid move.

And I still applaud version 11. There is no way they're gonna make years of old efs data and programmed strategies 100% compatible with this new platform without major bugs. It's a start and you certainly don't have to use it if you don't want to.

I'll state again than I'm THRILLED to see a 64 bit based platform!!! I'm sure they're out there, but I don't know of any other broker or platform provider that has a 64 bit program. This is HUGE in my opinion. We've all been stuck with a limit of 3Gig Ram for way too long. Time to put technology to good use.

The thing with trading and platforms is that everyones mileage will vary.

#47     Jan 10, 2011
  8. I think I'll save my old brain the effort and just get you to tell me what I think. Agreed on all counts.

#48     Jan 10, 2011
  9. You have more faith than I do. Thanks for the comparison and critique.

#49     Jan 10, 2011
  10. I had a horrendous experience with E-Signal about 4-5 years ago in which I spent nearly 20 hours over the course of two weeks trying to HELP THEM TROUBLESHOOT an issue that they never wound-up finding a solution for ( an ES chart would freeze after a few minutes, followed by the SPY chart freezing ). Why they use their customer base (in my opinion) for "glitchy" versions and updates is absolutely beyond me.

Never again.
    Never.

#50     Jan 11, 2011