An All-new eSignal Launches...

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by JayF_eSignal, Jan 6, 2011.

1. The time scale on a one-second chart doesn't show time in seconds, only minutes. How many years did it get 10 to be as good as it is? I'll be dead before 11 is as good. Or using other software that's mature now.

#11     Jan 7, 2011
  2. It's best described as,

10.6 to 11 equals XP to Vista.

11 has a lot of great improvments and much potential. The problem now is that it's just too programmerish, rather than
    being aimed at the active trader. 'If they did have the active trader 100% in mind, users of every level should be satisfied!!'
    And given that they have the expertise to make the best software there is, it's a shame they're not fully using it to make what the active trader wants and needs. In fact, in some cases they are going in the opposite direction. By that I mean what took 2 steps to do in 10.6 now takes 4 steps to do in 11.

However, I do hold out hope that they will sooner rather than later recognize what it's like sitting in our pants and turn 11.xx(Vista) into a Windows 7. I know they can do it!!

#12     Jan 7, 2011
  3. An excellent assessment. But clearly the developers do not trade, and therefore have no notion of how we make 10 jump through its own asshole to make it do what we want it to. Case in point. Sometimes I want to drag a window partway off the screen because I don't want to see the price scale. Try that in 11 and fucking scroll bars come up. Not only that, there are several pixels of wasted space in a deadband around the perimeter. Intuitive? Intuitive is what I expect 11 to do based on 10. Where are the fucking compress and expand time scale buttons? Noooooo. You have to drag the scale. Do they think maybe we'd ever want two charts to line up perfectly, and that's why we like the fixed scale compression/expansion? And why can't I now compress the height of a study down to practically nothing? I use a lot of helper studies that don't convey any information other than the color-coded state. I would like to test the new strategy analyzer, but my strategy codes that work fine in 10 produce error messages in 11. This version is meant to be pretty and easy for newbies, not useful to the existing trader base. What I do is not easy. And pretty doesn't make me money. And the arrogance of saying "You will have to completely reconstruct all your windows." I am guessing based on the three windows I tested last night that that will take me about six hours. How about a conversion utility that converts the page descriptor files from 10 to 11? And they have fucked up two statements in efs. How many more will I have to discover in my codes and fix? Good thing they don't design cars. They'd put the accelerator on the left and the brake pedal on the right.

#13     Jan 7, 2011
  4. To me, it seems like a step in the right direction. Let me say I haven't used version 11 in my trading environment yet. I just started playing with it today on my laptop. So far I like it.

I'm semi-new to e-signal. I used them many years ago and then left when I opened up an account with Tradestation. I have now closed that account and kept my IB, so I just went back to e-signal a couple of weeks ago. I finally set-up my charts in Version 10 to the way I like 'em (4 monitors). I'm kinda sadened that I have to do it all over again when I just got done with it in 10.

Although it's easier to jump from "page" to "page" due to the new tabs, it's still lacking the ability to open more than one page at a time. To me, this is a huge miss for e-signal 11. When using multiple monitors, it's nice to have one page (or workspace) per monitor. Not have to spread a huge page across 4 monitors (specially if some are vertical and others horizontal or if they have different resolutions). Sure, you can snap the charts out and place them manually, but that's still a pain.

But all is not lost. I actually like the way the charts snap into place. I like the black background instead of white (sure, I know it's all configurable in both versions, but I like how it's preset in black to begin with). I do find it easier to add and remove basic studies.

I haven't gotten to testing any other type of efs other than basic ones and they appear to work well. But I've just dabbled with it for one day. I certainly don't expect it to be perfect right off the bat. I'm sure there will be bugs and wish lists. I'm not getting rid of version 10 anytime soon. I'll just keep messing with it on my laptop.

#14     Jan 8, 2011
  5. cama

cama

Thanks to all who have posted here regarding the new 11. I was a longtime user of version 10, tried other software, and then just resubscribed yesterday and downloaded 11. I spent a LOT of time yesterday trying to figure it out, configure it the way I wanted it, and then did a lot of trendlines, text boxes, and studies for four different stock symbols. Finally, I re-saved the page carefully, after checking to make sure all of my lines, etc "held" ok. I restarted ESignal early this morning, opened that page - then opened a new page with today's date. DAMN - none of the lines, text boxes, etc show up for the symbols I worked so hard on show up on yesterday's page (all are currently open positions and I will now have to redo everything).

It seems like you can rename the chart that is on the open page - but there is no way to save it to your hard drive, and then retrieve it again. I tried renaming a new chart - and it cannot be found using the search function for my computer. No documentation on their website OR in the post by the ESignal guy here either. In version 10, I always saved each chart for each symbol separately - then I could open them and arrange them and save them as a "Layout." No problems. But they did away with the Layouts and are forcing you to use Pages only. It makes no sense that what you did all day on a Page cannot be found when you restart the program.

I agree with the poster here who said their programmers are not active traders - they have added so much new stuff, made it more complicated than it needs to be for the average trader, and deleted what worked just fine. Unusable as is IMHO. I am going to download the old 10 version and use that for now because I was a previous subscriber, so I cannot get a refund (no 30-day trial period unless you are a new user). If they don't fix the 11 problems (especially the lack of pertinent documentation), then I am going to be an ex-user of ESignal permanently.

I do not ever want to invest so much time in fooling around with learning a totally revamped software product like this. I only wish I had known that version 11 was so brand new (the sales rep said nothing) ... and so very different from version 10 ... before I wasted so much time and energy trying to make it work!

#15     Jan 8, 2011
  6. I can verify that you can't save individual charts as they've done away with "Layouts". Personally, I use pages. I find it easier to save a whole page with one file rather than having to save each object displayed on the screen. As I've stated before, I would have rather seen "workspaces", where you can open more than one workspace at a time.

No one likes to learn a whole new platform. But at least I'll give e-signal some credit for coming up with a 64 bit platform. Finally I can upgrade to a 64 bit system and install more than 3 gigs of memory and have the operating system and my programs recognize and use it!

#16     Jan 8, 2011
  7. Well, curse me for a fool! I decided to be generous and check out the functionality of 11's backtesting, because it says here

http://www.esignal.com/esignal/eSignalfeatures_11vs10_6matrix.aspx

that it is implemented. So I took out the offending playsound statements from a working strategy code, loaded it on a chart, per the documentation looked for the button called "Show Strategy Analyzer Report", it's not there, but there is a "Show Back Test Report" button, punched it, and guess what? IT SAYS THERE WERE NO TRADES! Oh, my! Guess my strategies won't work in 11! Why am I not surprised?

E-Signal sells cars:

"Mr. Deco, your new Model 11 is ready for you to drive home!"

"Great! Thanks! I can't wait!....Uhhhh....Where are the tires?"

"You wanted tires? They're not ready yet. We're still designing the rims. But you can have the car towed home and you can admire it sitting on blocks."

#17     Jan 8, 2011
  8. ebaron

ebaron

Deco...With all due respect, chill with the language...it is unneccessary and makes you seem immature and unintelligent. We dont need the language, just the facts.

#18     Jan 8, 2011
  9. Wow, so much negative response to 11's release.

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling that pressure from upstairs or something forced them to prematurely release the Gold version that is in such an incompleted and unpolished state. It needed one or two more betas and an RC. This seems to have created a very bad first impression to many.
    However, if you had been following their remarks throughout the beta phase, you would know that a lot of what you feel is missing in 11 has been mentioned by them to be included in future versions. I look at this release as just another beta that's being called Gold.

They just need more time to put the pieces together, polish it, and most of all make it more user friendly. The programmers just need to switch into 'Trader Mode'!!The demands of the active trader are the highest. When they satisfy him, as I'm sure they can, everyone will be happy, and we'll have the best software around. So given that 11 has such great potential, I'm willing to wait a little longer.

#19     Jan 8, 2011
  10. http://www.tv.com/seinfeld/the-dealership/episode/2407/summary.html

Jerry: Did you two break up?

Puddy: That chick's whacked, we're history. I just left out a couple of things. Rust-proofing...

Jerry: Rust-proofing?

Puddy: Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder's fee...

Jerry: Finder's fee!? It was on the lot!

Puddy: Yeah, that's right. Floor mats, keys...

Jerry: Keys!?

Puddy: How ya gonna start it?

#20     Jan 8, 2011