An ACRONYMS List

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FuturesTrader71, Jun 25, 2005.

A link to a list of acronyms at ET

1. Yes!

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No!

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Forgive me, but you are wrong. An acronym, according to your above noted (and correct) definition, is a word formed by one or more letters of other words. "GTC" is not a word. How would you pronounce that as a word? Your dictionary examples above (NATO, radar, snafu) are pronounced as words. An abbreviation can be something like ABC, standing for, say, American Bowling Championship. ABC is not an acronym because it cannot be pronounced as a word. Please look up abbreviation. You have obviously looked up acronym, you just need to read it again. :)

As an aside, I think your idea is a good one. I voted "yes." But it may as well be referred to correctly if it is to be implemented.

P.S. You reference to "FBI" in your definition of acronym is incorrect. (You just made me go check both my Webster and Oxford.) Interestingly, your definition refers to FBI as an abbreviation. Correct! :)

#11     Jun 27, 2005
  2. TGregg

TGregg

Start a thread. Baron reads the board, I don't need to pass it on. It's called "Empowerment" ;).

#12     Jun 27, 2005
  3. Empowerment a.k.a. "do it yourself."
    :D

(P.S. a.k.a. is an abbreviation rather than an acronym, because it is not pronounced or read as a word.)

#13     Jun 27, 2005
  4. Bsulli

Bsulli

Ummmm........Guess you've never spent much time in the deep woods of East Texas. :D

#14     Jun 27, 2005
  5. Thanks TGregg and Thunderdog for your infinite wisdom.

#15     Jun 28, 2005
  6. TGregg

TGregg

If you don't want it bad enough to do it, why should anybody else?

#16     Jun 29, 2005
  7. The thread was started to poll members to see if it would generate interest. The thread is serving its purpose. Once there is enough interest, then it makes sense to spend the energy on it. I mis-read your post and thought you would pass it on to Barron; which is not the case. I know all about empowerment and I appreciate your comments nonetheless.

Thanks.

#17     Jun 29, 2005
  8. Rumor has it that TGregg is going to be opening a restaurant soon, where you bring your own ingredients and then cook them. My sources tell me the place will be called EmpoweRama.

Kidding aside, FT71, I still think that your idea is a good one.

#18     Jun 29, 2005
  9. I think this thread got off on a tangent and I wish to apologize for any misunderstandings. I would be happy to get a list started if members vote this in. I find that sometimes I have to PM someone to figure out what their abbreviations mean. I would like to have an abbreviations list just so that other members don't have to repeatedly explain what RTH or other abbreviations actually mean to newcomers and seasoned members alike.

Please vote if you haven't done so. If I can get Baron convinced of this, I will start a separate thread with a list of the abbreviations I can think of and to ask for contributions from others.

Best wishes to all and good luck trading.

#19     Jul 14, 2005
  10. maxpi

maxpi

Don't forget that NA stands for new acronym.

#20     Jul 15, 2005