An ACRONYMS List

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by FuturesTrader71, Jun 25, 2005.

A link to a list of acronyms at ET

1. Yes!

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No!

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Had the moderator delete the other thread as soon as I submitted, because it was supposed to have a poll and it didn't. So here it goes again....

I suggest a link up top that takes members/visitors to a comprehensive, alphabetized list of acronyms (ex. FOK, GTC, GTD, SSF's, RTH, DOM, T&S, TA, etc.).

I also suggest adding a forum where members can suggest acronyms for Barron/Joe/Moderators to add to that list.

I'm aware that there are other areas on the internet where a user can look up such acronyms as LOL, IMHO, etc. These may also be included, but it should be a comprehensive list including the common ones for efficiency.

Please vote FOR this idea. Hopefully it will get implemented.

2. chartie

chartie

Ok, you got the first YES vote :p

But I’d like to see the acronyms that relevant to the market and economy only, not something like PS, BS, BTW, ASAP…. etc. :)

3. Good.

Most ET'ers have long given up trying to figure out NMO...

4. The reason I started this is I often see people asking what an acronym means and many replies that add no value to the thread. I am sure there will be those who won't notice the acronym shortcut to answer their own question, but it is worth a shot.

Kind of interesting that someone would vote NO to this. Can someone who disagrees provide a reason for it?

5. It is a good page, but it is still missing a lot of the jargon acronyms that we often use. Besides, the idea is to have a convenient link and to be able to add to it over time.

This is a good link though of most of the official acronyms. Thanks for providing it.

6. Not to put too fine a point on it, but those are not examples of acronyms. They are merely abbreviations. Sorry. :)

7. TGregg

TGregg

If you like the idea, why not make the list yourself? It'd certainly make a stronger argument to Baron to implement the list if you present it to him already made. Not that I am promising anything, mind you.

8. You might want to check that... here's the definition of an acronym:

Main Entry: ac·ro·nym
    Pronunciation: 'a-kr&-"nim
    Function: noun
    Etymology: acr- + -onym
    : a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters : INITIALISM

DOM = Depth Of Market
    FOK = Fill Or Kill
    GTC = Good Till Cancelled

An abbrevation is something like "approx." for "approximate" or "doesn't" for "does not".

This is, however, not the point of the thread.

9. I can certainly provide 20 or so acronyms to start and then have others add to the list as needed. Would you pass that on?

#10     Jun 27, 2005