Amp Futures and Metatrader 5 backtesting

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Jeffro72, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

I'm considering moving to Amp Futures, but have a few questions before I do.

Currently, MT5 will let you back test for free in a demo account, but it's only Forex, and seems to be limited resolution historical data (which makes sense, since historical data costs money).

I need to back test with historical futures data, preferably through the MT5 platform. If I open an account with Amp, will this be an option? If not, is it possible to port bought data into MT5 for back testing?

Secondly, is Amp Future's itrader autotrading system the same, or similar to MT5's trading robots?

Many thanks in advance for any answers you can give.

-Jeff

2. AMP_Futures

AMP_Futures ET Sponsor

Hi @Jeffro72 - Here is some technical details about the MT5 platform.

1) Historical data - Each broker runs its own historical data servers for their MT5 environment. The current limitation we are having with offering deeper historical data is the current symbol mapping is limited to the specific contract (such as ESM18). We provide all the historical for this symbol, but when the previous front month contract was ESH18, the data for the ESM18 is obviously very spotty...and is not good for historical back testing.
    • Good News - we are in final stages of creating the ability to merge/smooth out all the different contracts into 1 continuous chart with deep history (that will provide the data needed for backtesting) - ETA - less than 30 days.
    2) iSystems is similar to MT5 robots as far as providing you the ability to enable/disable your AMP trading account on the strategies in real-time. When you are enabled, you see the trades in real-time and if you ever decide to disable (get out) of the strategy you are following...you can do this in real-time > without having to wait until the end of the day.
    • iSystems strategies > you pay for the use of the strategy via your AMP trading account
    • MT5 Robots > you will subscribe/pay for the use of the robot via the MQL5 market place.
    Difference: iSystems performance reports are after all fees and commissions. Since they set these fees standard across all brokers (they can provide accurate performance reports). MT5 Robots are not standardized across brokers, so if you can get cheaper per trade pricing...like at AMP ;)....the performance will be different. So any performance reports for MT5 robots will not be all inclusive (after all fees).

We will provide a mass notice when the deep historical data is available.

If you need any assistance or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our 24 hour help desk in real-time via Phone or Live CHAT: https://www.ampfutures.com/contact-us/

Happy Trading!

There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors.

3. Jeffro72

Jeffro72

@AMP_Trading , many thanks for the detailed response. This answered many questions I had. I'm looking forward to the deep historical data update.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018