Amount of money to move the market

Discussion in 'Forex' started by Dr Who, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Haha something like that. Youre up in a nice spot, I was on 9th. Brickels more my speed, but way too small.

Not sure about energy, I worked on a retail FX brokerage desk and now for one of the largest Ag traders while Im doing an MBA (not gonna name names publicly). Never did any energy, right now I barely have any time for any personal account stuff.

#11     Jan 11, 2011
  2. ThisIsNeo

ThisIsNeo

As mentioned, the answer is "a lot". How much is "a lot" is hard to quantify, but I have some examples as this is something I've been working on as well. There's the example of Bill Lipschutz who was short 3 billion USD when big news came out. It was afternoon in New York and he sold 300 million more to try to slow the market and it did not work. That's a few years ago, but even in NY at that time 300 million could not be done without moving the market too much.

There are documented interventions where you can go see directly. For example, when the BOJ intervened is easy to find on the Ministry of Finance or the BOJ's website. The dates and amounts are written. The last one was when the BOJ tried to weaken the yen in September and sold 2 trillion yen. The success of that is not guaranteed (talk to the SNB!) but that's another story.

I've been trying to find data explaining market moves from 1-10 days and again with Japan, the weekly data did not provide much help. I looked at equity, bonds and money market data but it's very volatile and even trends are hard to spot. One reason behind was to see traces of carry trade implemention and when bonds stopped behing bought so massively by domestic investors.

Other than that, I know large banks trading in the interbank market have codes referencing big buyers and mention if say, the BOE just bought 100 mil of any currency. In a liquid session, 100 mil is not much.

Time of day is important indeed. Last night I was looking at the EURSEK cross on the 5 min chart and sometimes there are no trade or movement for 5 mins.

#12     Feb 23, 2011
  3. peleus

peleus

A lot has changed over the years. Does anyone know how much cash is need for this year? [​IMG]

#13     Sep 26, 2014
  4. PS Sobe - Im over in Brickell. Did my first year in town on the beach but Sobe wasnt 4 me lol.[/quote]
    You mean 100 standard lots, i.e. $10m ?

#14     Nov 28, 2014
  5. Market makers can move markets for free. So if you are after how much can they move against you, the limit is pretty much unlimited assuming you are the only prey available at a given time.

#15     Nov 28, 2014
  6. the way i see it its a given that its not only money that moves the market, and add to it the tons of factors let it be small or big that generates the movements, so its gonna be a bit hard to calculate or even get close to how much money is needed.

#16     Dec 3, 2014