Amibroker vs Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by seticivo, Jul 9, 2022.

1. seticivo

seticivo

Hello everybody,

The question is: I intend to start programming my own systems and test them in the near future. So I have decided to go for a software to carry out the task. Currently it seems that on internet, the two best candidates are Amibroker and Tradestation.

Which one would you recommend to learn in case it would be more profitable in the long run? Since time is limited and we cannot be experts in everything.
    That one is more complex than the other is no problem.

Regards,
    Seti

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. I am using Tradestation, It has many limitation. But it's self clearing Brokerage House with good Platform which has been around for long time. Since Take over my Monex group, more than a decade ago, they have been milking Tradestation only without much improvement.
    But they are coming with IPO soon and They going to use the money to enhance both Platform and Brokerage business very soon. So i guess tradestation is a winner here.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  4. I highly doubt this when the money can instead be used for buying yachts

5. silly comment, seem you were a unhappy customer who had issues with TS

6. seticivo

seticivo

So disappointing with your comments

GrantJKing likes this.
  7. I'm in the same situation, from the reviews i have read, its seems that the code in tradestation is easier to learn? What's your conclusion? Doesn't seem like your getting much help here?

8. seticivo

seticivo

Hello GrantJKing,

Finnally I have decided that i am going to learn Amibroker to analyze different systems and then a portfolio of systems. Then i will place the orders in the broker, in this case i think i will use Interactive brokers.
    I am going to start reading the books of Howard B. Bandy:
    Quantitative Trading Systems
    Modeling Trading System Performance

Please find the translation of the answer to this same question that I received in another spanish forum. I think it will helps you. Best regards

I have been using both platforms for years, both of them! And it is for a very specific reason that I will detail.

Amibroker is more of a trading system analysis and design platform.
    Tradestation is a Programming platform, a Broker (which allows execution) and a provider of historical and real time data. An "all in one" but it is not perfect, none of them are.

I will detail important things about each one.

Amibroker:
    -The programming language is of very high level - MATRICIAL TYPE(a superexcel), with a few lines you have a system.
    - It requires to get "purchased" data feed by other means, although Amiquote allows you to load them for free from Yahoo Finance or similar. Norgate/Esignal are highly recommended historical providers.
    - The database is local (needless to say what happens if you have an m.2 nvme at 6gb/s read/write).
    -Allows to optimize in Portfolios
    -Allows to look into the future (In INSAMPLE ) which is very useful for system design if you are careful and is a problem if you are not careful.
    -Allows to program Objective Functions
    -Uses ALL cores (up to 32) for example of a threadripper.
    -Programmed in C++ (it is ultra efficient and fast).
    -Supports Real Time providers, but you have to program the Position Match for a "drinkable" operation management. In my opinion, it is not suitable for intraday trading, but it is suitable for Swing trading. Trade management is the 80%-90% of Success and what allows you to stick to the THEORETICAL, ie, run the system as you have designed it.
    -Allows PORTFOLIO Optimization.
    -It allows you to design INTERMARKET systems, HEDGING, SPREADS, SIMULATE OPTIONS, etc... It has no limits.
    -You can use other data from other assets in an unlimited way and optimize the DATA.
    -It is 100% extensible and allows external DLLs with our programs.
    -It is "pluggable" with Python.

Tradestation:
    - Their data are the NETFLIX of the markets and with spectacular intraday quality. It downloads them at the moment and uses them when optimizing, but you do not have everything in LOCAL.
    -The programming language is of Superlevel type Natural Language (underneath it is matrix).
    -It does not allow to look into the future (well with 2 data it makes errors).
    -You can only optimize on a single asset.
    -You can do intermarket systems with DATA2,DATA3 in a limited way.
    It has the WFO optimizer (the grail) integrated for hyper-advanced robustness analysis.
    -You can NOT program your optimization metrics.
    -You can NOT define mixed IS - OOS zones (e.g. weeks between mixed).
    -What you program JUMPS to real "with a CLICK", this barrier is an ABYSS when programming on other platforms.
    It has a POSITION MATCH control, hyper-advanced like no other, which allows you to BEGIN to the THEORETICAL and makes it suitable for INTRADIA. This feature makes the difference with other platforms.
    By optimizing on a single asset (index futures for example) you are inclined to over-optimize and create systems without multi-market robustness.
    -It is extensible and supports DLLs as well.

Summary:
    You can't "live" without the 2.
    I design in amibroker, translate to easylanguage (5 minutes) and trading is in TS (or multicharts).

TIP:
    Multichars has PORTFOLIO trader that allows to OPTIMIZE/DESIGN in PORTFOLIO.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, but you have my choice.

9. Thanks for sending that! I used a free trial of Multicharts and figured out how to do a backtest with in an hour, but i don't think the program is as power as Amibroker, im going to give that a try!!