Amibroker - Is it King of retail trading software??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gmst, May 17, 2013.

1. gmst

gmst

event driven in the sense? something like earnings > X ?

#21     May 18, 2013
  2. apfx

apfx

Actually this is can be done already.

#22     May 18, 2013
  3. Performance and reliability wise it is excellent but of course as any other product there is always place for additions improvements otherwise there would be no development needed. There is always something to add even if it's minor things. I see it while doing my own stuff just for myself. Every here and then I come up with a new idea. So actually development can be an (addicting) curse. :) But as for AB the main important things are already there and they provide a free API if you feel there is something missing.

#23     May 18, 2013
  4. Cool, thanks! How? Damn, there is something that even I don't know.

#24     May 18, 2013
  5. apfx

apfx

Suppose you have saved an exploration as analysis.apx in desktop lets say

JScript:
    Code:
    AB = new ActiveXObject( "Broker.Application" ); 
    Project =  "C:\\Users\\You\\Desktop\\analysis.apx"
    NewA = AB.AnalysisDocs.Open(Project );    
    if ( NewA ) 
    { 
    	NewA.Run( 1 ); // start Exploration asynchronously

while ( NewA.IsBusy ) 
    	WScript.Sleep( 500 ); // check IsBusy every 0.5 second 

NewA.Close(); // close new Analysis 
    } 

Save this .js file in "C:\\Program Files\\AmiBroker\\Scripts\\RunAnalysis.js"
    Now you can call the it form afl

AFL:
    Code:
    Seconds = int( GetPerformanceCounter() /1000);
    Event =  Seconds %10 == 0 ; 

if ( Event  ) 
    {
    	Executed =  Nz ( StaticVarGet ( "Executed"));
    	if (!Executed)
    	{
    		ShellExecute("C:\\Program Files\\AmiBroker\\Scripts\\RunAnalysis.js", "",""); 
    		StaticVarSet ( "Executed", 1 ); 
    	}
    }
    else
    StaticVarSet ( "Executed", 0); 

RequestTimedRefresh(1); 
    Title = "Event = " + Event + 
    "\n";

#25     May 18, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

Thanks apfx for showing that even driven scan/exploration can be done. But basic question - what is an event in amibroker world?

#26     May 18, 2013
  7. apfx

apfx

It can be anything:
    New quote coming
    Order has been filled
    5 min to market close
    price crosses a certain level
    new bar on chart
    mouse button clicked

#27     May 18, 2013
  8. gmst

gmst

Thank You.

#28     May 18, 2013
  9. themickey

themickey

I've been using Amibroker for over 10 years and SierraCharts for about 2 years.
    For stocks or mulitple symbols, AB is light years ahead of SC for speed and number crunching, backtesting and maintaining a database of historical data.
    However I no longer trade stocks, I just trade one futures symbol - SPI, so I don't require the grunt and capabilities of AB.

These days I use AB to maintain many years of historical data which helps me see the big picture, as well, I do make suggestions to a friend on which stocks to buy. I can backtest hundred of symbols simultaneously (I screen for long term volatility looking at a number of parameters) and can come up with a result in a minute therabouts

I use SierraCharts as my trading platform linked in with InteractiveBrokers, I think SC is better for this than AB.

With SierraCharts I can design whatever entry/exit/stop/scalp system I like for placing trades and it is very easy to program and link in with IB.

So to summarise, AB is great for programming and testing for multiple suitable stocks, SC is great for placing trades to my preferred methods.

#29     May 18, 2013
  10. gmst

gmst

Thanks very nice! This is the kind of comparative feedback which is very helpful. I have been with MC for years and have been trading futures so it serves all my needs. Now I am moving to trade stocks and thats why I am evaluating a new software, which must be fast, offer scanning, ranking and execution in a portfolio way. Cheers!

#30     May 18, 2013