Amibroker - Is it King of retail trading software??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gmst, May 17, 2013.

1. Sure.

#11     May 18, 2013
  2. apfx

apfx

Yes you can.
    To calculate multiple- security statistics you can use also AddtoComposite() function
    http://www.amibroker.com/guide/a_addtocomposite.html

#12     May 18, 2013
  3. gmst

gmst

Thanks! Thats a pretty strong recommendation from a long term user (10 years).

Anyways, it will be really great to hear detailed direct comparative experiences from people who have used both Amibroker and other software, especially in terms of speed, performance, stability in a portfolio environment.

#13     May 18, 2013
  4. gmst

gmst

Till now I have been quite favorably impressed with Amibroker (based on my limited research). Just to add a little bit of realism here:

Couple of posts by sogodo from 2008, present a slightly different picture about Amibroker customer support. He talks highly about the capabilities of the product, however he is clearly disappointed with customer support experience and responsiveness of Amibroker. Maybe things have changed now. Those posts talk about limited autotrading functionality from Amibroker and bad integration with IB. However, looking at their website, now it seems both autotrading and close integration with IB have been accomplished.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2242269

#14     May 18, 2013
  5. Bob111

Bob111

i would say-the 'king' is whatever works for you and made you the money..i'm still using my own applications,written in VB6, 20 years old language..works for me and i'm sure that all my calculations\values are correct. + i like to have complete flexibility.

#15     May 18, 2013
  6. Sorry to say but that's rubbish. First of all AB is not a one man shop. AFAIK it's three guys, two guys at least. If I send a support request I get a reply within same hour. Support is excellent (mainly done by very competent Marcin G.), Tomasz only does technical support besides working on new features (not sure if Marcin is involved in development). Maybe I should calculate an average of the difference between email sent and email received of mailbox. Also Tomasz is helping out at the AB's own user's forum from time to time and for many years (do you know many companies where you have direct contact to the developer himself and can make direct suggestions besides using feedback center?). I'm active as a user there at the forum for quite some years also so I don't know what the guy is talking about.

As for the other mentioned stuff e.g.

That's total nonsense. I have created my own AB chart trading tool using different position sizing methods, trade report output etc. Can send multiple orders via chart to Interactive Brokers or Metatrader or others. Video can be found on youtube. AB is very flexible and open paradise to real good programmers. You are not trapped in a cage. And how can NT be more advanced if it doesn't even provide portfolio trading for example? They don't even provide true portfolio backtesting/optimization/walk forward.

I once pointed Tomasz to a similar or same message via mail and he replied

On Internet forums everyone wants to be an expert. (similar quote by Tomasz)

#16     May 18, 2013
  7. gmst

gmst

Bob,
    Well said! Also its true that custom applications offer complete flexibility. As you know I am starting research on stocks, and I decided to look into Amibroker since stock traders like it and my current software is so clumsy and unsuitable to scan, rank and trade hundreds of stocks.

Amibroker clearly is very cheap out there. On performance benchmarks also, till now I have heard good things about it. But I am very interested to know its limitations. What are the things in Amibroker that you do not like? Or, rather what features do you need that Amibroker lacks currently? Cheers.

#17     May 18, 2013
  8. Yep, at the end a tool is just a tool. And a fool with a tool is still a fool.

#18     May 18, 2013
  9. gmst

gmst

George, Many Thanks! I agree it seems to me that price wise, performance wise and features wise Amibroker is the best out there in retail landscape. Others can't do portfolio trading, Amibroker can. AFL being array based language is super-fast etc. It just sounded that customer service and their responsiveness is not their forte. But great to hear a strong counter-reply from you. When long term customers come out to defend their software, it is a great recommendation.

My question to you is that as a user, do you experience any limitations of Amibroker? Do you have to do an quirks to make the software work? Do you find it easy to use or hard to use? What do you think are the areas of improvement for Amibroker. What are the key limitations of Amibroker? Cheers.

#19     May 18, 2013
  10. For example event driven scan/exploration. It's noticed/planned.

#20     May 18, 2013