Americans give up looking for work

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Not looking good.

AMERICANS GIVE UP SEARCHING FOR WORK

The weak tenor of the employment report was also emphasized by revisions to June and July data to show 41,000 fewer jobs created than previously reported.

In addition, the labor force participation rate, or the percentage of Americans who either have a job or are looking for one, fell to 63.5 percent -- the lowest since September 1981.

A total of 368,000 people gave up looking for work in August, the household survey showed.

Since the beginning of the year, job growth has averaged 139,000 per month, compared with an average monthly gain of 153,000 in 2011.

Economists blame fears of the so-called U.S. fiscal cliff -- the $500 billion or so in expiring tax cuts and government spending reductions set to take hold at the start of next year unless Congress acts -- and Europe's long-running debt problems, for the slowdown in hiring.

Job creation last month was weak across the board, with manufacturing payrolls falling 15,000, the first decline since September last year. Factory jobs were inflated in July because automobile manufacturers kept plants running when they would normally shut them for retooling.

There was little improvement in construction employment, which added 1,000 jobs. Temporary hiring fell 4,900, declining for the first time since March.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

And the sheeple chant: "four more years...four more years..."

3. I'll take adding 92,000 jobs a month over losing 800,000 jobs per month as we were under the republican

[​IMG]

4. BSAM

BSAM

Obaaaaama...Obaaaaama...Obaaaaama.

5. pspr

pspr

Obama is done. Stick a fork in him. :D

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'd like to. A pitch fork that is. :D

7. Again with the facts? You just keep confounding the right with facts? That's not very nice. They must tune into FOX and RUSh for a fact deterrent, just to stabilize their poor addled minds.

Intrade still near the widest margin.

8. I'm sorry, but this 100K or so a month job growth we're on is not going to cut hit. We're missing the mark by 200K per month, and when you consider most of these new jobs are for shit, the under employment number is going through the roof.
    Bush was a fuck up. I get it. We all get it. Yes, Obama got left a bag of turds. We all get that. Four years later. FOUR years later my friend, and we're getting a few McD type jobs created here and there. Blame this, blame that. At the end of the day it's on his watch and it's up to him to lead the way out regardless of the obstacles.
    We are surrounded by the enemy. Outside help is not coming. Casualties are high. Someone needs to step up, give the order to prepare for close combat, and lead the way out. We, we Americans are prepared to die trying, but I can't give the order. You can't give the order. The president must do it. Enough with the platitudes. He must stand up in the hail of bullets, fix his bayonet, look at us and say, Semper Fi mother fuckers, and charge, putting his own presidency on the line. We will follow a man like that. Who is that man?

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

The FACT is our economy sucks. "Better" than under the last POTUS isn't exactly bragging rights.

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Especially when the 100k jobs are fictional, birth/death adjustments.

I've explained this so much to this forum that I no longer have the will to do it again.

Just do yourselves a favor and look at the labor participation stat. That's the only one that matters. 31 year low.

#10     Sep 7, 2012