Americans approve of Obama’s jobs bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I don't know who the response was directed at, but I'm not assailing the average Joe's character. On the contrary, I'm giving him credit for seeing thru all of the economic "spin" that trillions of dollars thrown at the wall will somehow "stick". Instead, his "on the ground" analysis of his standard of living says that this economy sucks as bad as it did in 1980 when interest rates were around 20% and unemployment was as big an issue.

I'm of the camp that there is no fix to this problem. Like you say, automation and just as importantly the internet, have made so many occupations obsolete that one would have to be a fool to believe that there is a way to make up for those sorts of job losses.

#41     Oct 14, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

I agree with you re the internet. It's effect is staggering. You can google a CAT part number now, instead of going to the CAT administrator's office to have him look in a CAT tome!

#42     Oct 14, 2011
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Fantastic. Whatever the reason, the published employment numbers are complete horseshit and shouldn't be used to support any argument - which is what I've been saying for several years now.

#43     Oct 14, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

I think "complete horseshit" is overstating it. Those figures includes people who are trying to find work and cannot. Presumably there is a higher rate of suffering in that group, than in the group of non-participants in the LFPR data. How can I say that? Because at least some of the latter are independently wealthy, or retired and living off their own means.

#44     Oct 14, 2011

5. Obama and Bush

Bush for leaving a trillion dollar deficit,2 wars to pay for,expanded medicare to pay for ,expanded federal government etc to pay for and Obama for keeping and expanding many of these programs/ expenses

If Obama had come into office with a balanced budget like Bush did and turned it into a trillion dollar deficit like Bush did then it would be all Obamas fault

#45     Oct 14, 2011
  6. Eight

Eight

Bush admin started the Stimulus thingy, Obama just continued with it, same as many things including the wars... the feds are even now prosecuting medical marijuana distributors...

#46     Oct 14, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Once again this chart shows Range Rovers Willful ignorance. He actually thinks when the stimulus was passed the money went out the door instantly. The fact of the matter is that with all the bureaucratic red tape that comes along with government the vast majority of the stimulus money didnt touch a workers hands for the first year.

One of the major concerns of economists is that by the time "stimulus" fundsactually start creating jobs the recession is already over and the economy is starting the recovery on its own accord. The fact of the matter is that in the chart Range Rover has provided the vast majority of the stimulus was deployed in the area where AK47 claims the stimulus ran out, where the economy was flatlining. The biggest problem with Keynesian economics is that keynes assumed the government would have some level of efficiency, and he never understood the fact that it takes a politician a year just to figure out what he is having for supper.

Less than half of the TARP money even went out the door in 2009 and that was passed under Bush and it went straight from the Feds to the banks, how on earth could a person be irrational enough to think that Stimulus money which had to go from the Feds, to the States, to the Cities went out the door faster than that? If anything a reasonable person would come to the conclusion that the passing of TARP was what stabilized the economy, even though i despised that plan as well.

You could argue that the economy may have dipped again in the area AK47 titles "stimulus winding down", but to argue that the stimulus was the primary driver behind the original slow down of job losses is assinine. Obama himself has already admitted that "shovel ready" jobs is a fallacy.

If Republicans were smart they would pass Obamas supposed jobs bill, provided the bll is funded based on spending cuts not tax increases, the bill isnt going to do jackshit to create jobs over the next year anyways, and if they can get some cuts which will remain permanent once Obama is long gone then i say let him do his thing.

#47     Oct 14, 2011
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

When the Birth Death model represents over 50-75% of the jobs number in a given month (and it has throughout different months of the year), and the Birth Death model is a made up fiction the BLS comes up with, then the number is complete horseshit.

#48     Oct 15, 2011
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

\

But let's not forget the important thing - Bush never claimed he would do otherwise. Obama ran on CHANGE and just did more of the same.

#49     Oct 15, 2011
  10. Good point.

#50     Oct 15, 2011