american students don't know the basics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Aug 18, 2010.

1. a wonderful example for this discussion, love to hear that. Cursive is not compatible to the machine era

#11     Aug 18, 2010
  2. If you can't write in cursive, how do you sign for anything? Are grade schools that busy that they can't fit cursive writing lessons in between movies and computer games?

#12     Aug 18, 2010
  3. Who said signatures needed to be precise and legible cursive in order to qualify as a signature?

#13     Aug 18, 2010
  4. I'm currently 34 and haven't written in cursive since 5th grade. And I also can't sign my name legibly, or even write legibly for that matter. Luckily...it doesn't mean jack because in today's society, being able to type is far, far more important in my software development job than how "pretty" I can write. :D

Equating writing in cursive to accomplishments of today's kids is bizarre. I'd like to know what writer decided to equate that "skill" of all things? It tells me more about the writer and old skill ideologies than it does about today's youth.

#14     Aug 18, 2010
  5. Exactly...my signature is more of a scribble than anything.

#15     Aug 18, 2010
  6. I have a letter written in cursive from my father before he passed away. Quite different than holding a typewritten sheet with lifeless ink on a page.

I wrote a few notes to myself today in cursive. Never thought much about it till now, just something I've done without thought.

When I study, I take a blank tablet and a pen and make notes in cursive and/or print (for emphasis).

I suppose if my kids did not learn to write in cursive I may have taught them although I asked if they use it in school and the answer is "no".

#16     Aug 18, 2010
  7. #17     Aug 19, 2010

8. Same here. Couldn't live without cursive nor would I want to.

Kids without cursive? Shoot them, with or without cursive, esp. american kids, the brattiest in the world. :)

#18     Aug 19, 2010
  9. xtrader0

xtrader0

of course, we have our own signature so that no one can imitate

#19     Aug 19, 2010