American middle class faces impossible savings task

Discussion in 'Politics' started by a529612, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Trvlwanderer:

Man, when I read your first sentence, I was in total agreement with your points regarding the dumbass-mass in America.

My immediate reaction was to write and say that the Europeans aren't any better, and many times worse than we Americans. That is coming from a 1st generation Legal-American. (Father is English and mother is Spanish). ...and then I read your second sentence. :D

When I travel to Europe I am often surprised at the rampant celebrity gossip filth in their "mainstream" papers and TV; Britain probably being the worst offender in my opinion. Mind you, I love Europe, but those people aren't any more intelligent or forward thinking than we Americans. I think it is the human condition really...

Back to Americans saving for retirement…
    I used to do 401k presentations to groups of employees in order to get them to start contributing or increase their contributions to their retirement. It never ceased to amaze me that some of these dolts would skip saving for their retirement, and walk over to signup for that Aflac garbage insurance. What a bunch of dumb-arses!

#11     Mar 22, 2007
  2. "The UN is an impotent organization,"

Yes it is an impotent organization, that is the way it was originally designed. Consider this, based on its design, the organization is very effective.

#12     Mar 22, 2007
  3. They bend to the social pressure.

Of course you must resist the temptation to spend in things you don't really need.

Of course people (those who will go broke sooner or later) will belittle you because you don't have their "toys".

#13     Mar 22, 2007
  4. To quickly answer your points:

1. Most Americans think like you, that is why Bush and not Nader is the president of this country.

2. What makes you think the US wants to establish democracy in the Middle East??? If you were aware of the past dealing of our country in the region, you would know that democracy is the last thing on our minds and the US wants the opposite. Read some history books on the subject and stop relying on Rush or O' Railey for info.

3. We helped create radical Islam. Saudis are the biggest sponsors od Wahabi movement and I am sure you know who our "I do not re call actor president whose wife was heavy into astrology, was calling "Freedom fighters" and gave Stinger missiles and shitload of other weapons to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan. Also, research who was sponsoring and giving importance to radical Muslim groups inthe occupied territories. (hint. try to expand your research beyond Fox network).

4. As for the role of Federal Government: look at the countries that have an active central government: Western Europe in general, and those who do not : most third world countries. If you think that spending money on war in Iraq is better than funding libraries and head start than you are wrong. I suggest you invest some time and effort and acquire some books written by Noam Chomsky and see the light.

#14     Mar 23, 2007
  5. How can people save money when an average home in CA, NJ, or NY costs like $700-800k in a good neighborhood?

#15     Mar 23, 2007
  6. You go in with family members. Everyone contributes. When it's paid off, you move on to the next family member. 40% of the homes in our area are owned outright. No 30 year wage slave mortgages.

#16     Mar 23, 2007
  7. ____________________________________________________

The higher fuel costs are the result of increased consumption by China and India. There might have been a "terror" premium built in, but that has pretty much run it's course.

The majority of the money spent on the war is being transferred to American companies......more guns, and more butter in this case!

The voters made a choice of who they wanted to run the country. I think it was a lesser of two evils choice! While Bush may be the worst public speaker I have ever seen, it literally pains me to watch him give a speech, Kerry ain't no brain trust either, and he has shown on more then one occasion, he isn't any quicker on his feet.

One thing is for certain, we, as a country are doing fine. We have faced some monumental challenges, a massive attack on our soil, a multi front war, and the near decimation of our gulf coast, and yet we are still going strong. I think that 100 years from now, Bush will get the kudos he deserves for tackling the challenges he faced.

The genocide occurred because the pansy's that run the UN are impotent and chose to do nothing. The UN is an impotent organization, but sure makes some of you who feel we need to talk about our differences, that things are getting done. I say, Less Talk More ACTION....that's the way we do it in the US! [/B][/QUOTE]

To quickly answer your points:

1. I think that the terror war has a lot to do with the price increase. China and India are consuming more of every other resource one might argue, yet it is oil that went from $10 to $60 and not cement or nickel or other resource that both countries have to buy on international markets.

2. Yes a lot of money is being transferred to companies in the US like Haliburton whose connection to vice president has nothing to do with it right? And the company is so American that it is thinking of moving to Dubai - very patriotic. Or do you mean all those companies who for years had been getting billions of dollars in tax incentives and instead of creating jobs here in the US took the money and invested in communist China or Mexico closing factories in the US at the same time.

3. More guns - yes we do spend more than $500 billion on military every year. As for butter, the average salary in the US is on the level from 1973. Yes, 1973. That means that your salary has as much purchasing power as it did in 1973. More butter - I doubt it.

4. As for the voters making the choice. maybe you are not aware but in the presidential elections you actually not voting for the president and the "winner takes all" statue gives all allowed votes for the candidate who had the majority in a given state. So Bush only needed 51% to carry the whole state. In a system like this 49% of the people who voted for someone else does not have representation since the winner takes all.

5. We are doing fine????? 7 trillion national debt. Education system that is so bad and inadequate that cannot even be compared to other First World Countries. trade imbalance, falling infrastructure, diminishing industrial base and the list go on and on.

6. as for the response to what happened in New Orleans, if you think that GWB is going to get kudos for that action then you are crazy. We all saw how swift and organized George's response was.

7. As for the UN, spend some time and see who is blocking 95% of its resolutions and then ask yourself a question why? Try using your brain for a change and not repeat what people at Fox Network are telling you.

8. People who advocate less talk and more action have gotten us into this Iraqi mess and would love to continue this BS for as long as possible. After all how else can you justify taking away our freedoms and cutting programs that would actually benefit the common folk. Communism is gone, time to find a new enemy - world terrorism. Now we can shred the constitution and tell people we need to sacrifice to fight this war. Same old song and dance, for those who are educated and know what is going on.

#17     Mar 23, 2007
  8. When my wife and I bought our current house in 99 we went for a 15 year fixed. I am sooooooooo glad we're actually looking at having the mofo paid off in another few years.

It was tough at first since the payments would have been significantly lower with a 30. But after a couple of years my pay caught up and now the payment is less than prevailing apartment rents. Our financial planner just about had an aneurysm because we wouldn't refinance and pull out the equity to invest. Yeah, I got yer equity right here, buddy.

Glub willing, the housing market will have turned into a seller's market again in 7 years. Then we'll move somewhere cheap.

#18     Mar 23, 2007
  9. In 7 years time, you just might already be living in somewhere cheap.

#19     Mar 23, 2007
  10. LOL, owned.

Well, you just never know. At least I live in the country and can shoot deer in my back yard for food.

#20     Mar 23, 2007