American looking to move to remote Canadian wilderness

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by fatrat, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Gambitman

Gambitman

Something to consider would be buying farmland in Saskatchewan. There is income potential to either rent out land or hire the work done and keep the crop for yourself (esp. if commodity bull run continues) and there are many places with streams lakes etc. and good hunting. I looked at nice farmland on eastern side of Saskatchewan with 8 quarters (1280 acres) of land and on okay yard (1950's house) with plenty of crop storage for 450,000 Canadian. There was good hunting and great water supply from underground aquifer(Hatfield) This was 2 years ago so probably 20% more now but still very cheap compared to land elsewhere in NorthAmerica. Of course if you have 0 agriculture experience it may be quite challenging. But trust me WAY LESS CHALLENGING then trying to live off grid in NWT.
    Lane realty is prob the main realtor in Saskatchewan. Has a wide variety of ag. property all over Saskatchewan.

#41     Oct 21, 2007
  2. How's the kimberlite farming these days?

#42     Oct 21, 2007
  3. #43     Oct 21, 2007
  4. Brutal weather and pathetic health care are the main reasons I wouldn;t live out in the boonies of Canada.

Try northern Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming. Lots of smaller towns with cheap prices.

John

#44     Oct 21, 2007
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Good plan.

If you are considering somewhere new, *always* rent before you buy. You need at least 6 months continual living in a place before you can get a feel for what it would be like to live there permanently. It's easy to underestimate the problems from being cut off from friends & family. Also consider the impact on your relationship, if you have one.

It's easy to romanticise the wilderness. Try it first and see how it goes. Also consider somewhere a bit off the beaten track in your home state - that way at least you can go to NYC for a weekend out or to see your friends etc.

#45     Oct 21, 2007
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Why is he better off in the US? He should compare both countries and see which setup suits him better, not rely on mindless patriotism to make his choice.

#46     Oct 21, 2007
  7. I sugest Siberia. You can purchase some land and house for fraction of US price ...

#47     Oct 21, 2007
  8. Cutten

Cutten

What if someone mugs him and pops a bullet in his chest in NYC? What if some 20 year old nutcase high on weed or whisky crashes into him on the road and kills him?

So you might die. Big f*cking deal. At least it will be quick, and he will die living his dream, as opposed to spending a depressing 9 months being treated like human detritus on a cancer ward, wondering what might have been.

#48     Oct 21, 2007
  9. From a probability perspective of assessing risk, what you say doesnt make sense, and is proof that you don't trade successfully.

#49     Oct 21, 2007
  10. fatrat

fatrat

How so?

Your odds of dying from the Canadian wilderness are probably lower than your odds of dying by a car accident in NYC + crime + death by poison. That is, of course, if you prepare properly for the wilderness.

I wish I had a life expectancy table for NYC, but I bet you life insurance in NYC costs more than it does in the NWT.

#50     Oct 21, 2007