American looking to move to remote Canadian wilderness

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by fatrat, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Too funny, that's the best joke I have seen in awhile, thanks. :D

#31     Oct 21, 2007
  2. fatrat - I don't think you should try to mess with the elements. If the winters are really as bad as people mention and you can't even get your car started then its a really bad idea unless you just want to hang out there for the summers. Why not just move to Toronto or any other decent city in Canada. You may even get a good job out there.
    America really isn't that bad but NYC is defiantly one of the worst cities in the world - way too many psychos living there.
    The rest of America is a decent place to live in so long as your a good trader and you can make at least 15% - cause that's the retrun you need to cover the cost of taxes, inflation, and currency devaluation.

#32     Oct 21, 2007
  3. To the original poster: it won't last for long. With this North American Union coming, the elite bankers will turn Canada into a cesspool like Mexico.

You can't get away from them, they have been collapsing and contolling economies for decades. The US military is allowed to come to Canada in case of 'terrorism' incidents - yes, this is a law in place - so when the economic riots and 'terrorism' start in the USA, they will move it up here too. I'm serious.

Why do you think they are pushing for the NAU, because they are a chartity looking out for Joe 6-Pack?

To look up real estate here simply visit www.mls.ca and click on the province/territory of your choise.

Cannmore AB and Pemberton BC are very expensive and gentrifed due to their proximity to Calgary and Whistler, respectively (or Oil, and Skiing/2010 Olympics to put it another way/0

#33     Oct 21, 2007
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Fatrat, serious question for you that has not been brought up yet. What if during the peak of winter, you suffer a medical emergency? You're snowed in, no power, roads are blocked, no one get to you. You die. Simple as that. Case closed.

#34     Oct 21, 2007
  5. fatrat

fatrat

I thought about this. If the NAU comes out to seize guns, they'd head to the cities first. Remote and rural Canada is not a place to concentrate and exercise authoritarian strength. It's as forbidding to them as it would be to me, making a practical solution there all that much more appealing.

I looked into island economies and found that too many of them are going to get wiped when the dollar collapses. I don't know where I can go that's cheap and affordable -- perhaps financing an underground bunker in the US is the logical way to go.

#35     Oct 21, 2007
  6. fatrat

fatrat

I thought about this, but I actually believe my odds of death are higher in New York City. Suppose P( dying ) = P( dying | medical emergency ) + P( dying | city pollution ). I think the P( dying | medical emergency ) is substantially less than P( dying | city pollution ), and can be ignored as a probable outcome.

The water is poison here. I've never had allergies so bad in my life. I thought it was just me, until I spoke to some other students in the area. All of the non-New Yorkers came here and started breaking out into ridiculous hives. They said it happened after stepping out of the shower, so I think there are some very foreign toxins in our water.

Second, the subways are a total disease vector. You go onto the subway, and it's nothing but a way to catch diseases. In the 60s, I think, the government actually spread diseases on the subway to test theories about how far and wide it would spread.

Third, the medical care in NYC is terrible. The doctors rush you in and out to make more insurance claims. They pump you with drugs. There may be some rich people here, but I think they're all getting treated by shitty doctors.

At some point, I have to ask myself whether society is worth living in anymore. I believe our city culture in the US, where 80% of the people live, is both physically and psychologically harming people.

I am not certain rural America is free of toxins in the water. The American agribusiness pours all kinds of poisons into the water supply. We can filter things, but the toxins will get into our system through the land via the food chain. I suspect this problem is less severe in Canada, and also the reason they have a higher life expectancy than us.

#36     Oct 21, 2007
  7. #37     Oct 21, 2007
  8. Well, I can't say I blame you but I personally wouldn't get too remote.As previously stated a medical emergency would most likely be your undoing. An infection or accident would be the most likely scenario.

It's been my experience that regardless how you plan, what "gets ya" is the one you least expected and when you least expected it.

Life really has it's irony.

#38     Oct 21, 2007
  9. Cesko

Cesko

He needs a shrink already, read his following post.

Good luck. A man must have a dream. Probably wise to ease into it. Go somewhere very cold, but with a support structure first. See if you like it.

This is a child's dream though.

Suggestion. Go live and make a living in the country, with let's say, $1000-2000 GDP per capita for 5 years. If you get busy surviving you won't have a time for "doom and gloom" non-sense and things will clear up for you. You don't need to be in NY anyway.

#39     Oct 21, 2007
  10. I don't understand the logic going on here...

"NYC has water that apparently makes foreigners break out and I think I'll catch diseases on the subway and the air is bad, and the dollar is going down the drain, so I'm going to live up on my own without any social contact or pussy in the middle of the freezing cold in the middle o fnowhere... and that will solve all my problems!"

#40     Oct 21, 2007