American looking to move to remote Canadian wilderness

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by fatrat, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Just be careful with the bears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

#21     Oct 21, 2007
  2. avarus

avarus

LOL fatrat. "The Canadian land and resources are much more pristine." and now you want to pollute them with your "American" ideas? Find peace within yourself first. Stop being an American fatrat. Sorry, but your post was truly ironic.

#22     Oct 21, 2007
  3. Fatrat, I am assuming you are serious...

I did my gradschool years in Madison WI. Nice, open country only an hour north. Pristine wilderness, almost. Plenty of places to fish, hunt, snowmobile, get away from it all... Great place! Then I experienced a week when it never broke Zero degrees F. Blinding wind, power outages. Once chance to start the car, and that was after you burned a hibachi under the oil pan... Of my 4 housemates, my truck was the only engine we could get started that week. When the power went out, we camped out in our friends house with a fireplace.

Those years were quite an experinece, with fond memories. However there was an effective support structure all around.

Now put yourself in the middle of nowhere, with 30 degrees below... know what happens if just one thing goes really bad? Perhaps someone finds you frozen in the spring... perhaps.

Oh, BTW, I really enjoyed your "romping with the bears" comments... One lesson I learned from my antics in Canada fishing... bears are not your friends!

Good luck. A man must have a dream. Probably wise to ease into it. Go somewhere very cold, but with a support structure first. See if you like it.

Do they still look for volunteers for the South Pole expedition? :D

#23     Oct 21, 2007
  4. IluvVol

IluvVol

How come nobody ever mentiones women? If I was to live somewhere else then I would make sure there are plenty of hot women, women, women. Fuck the phone or losing weight, who cares (ok I already am proud owner of a top body shape). I care to be satisfied by some hot chicks. Call it selfishness but guess how much I care about your opinion on that particular point.....;-)

I mean fishing is great and the snowmobile thing, but you wanna drill a hole into your hut's wall or hunt some wild goats to satisfy yourself for the rest of your life? Well.....not me brother..... but hey, good luck, you seem to already have done some serious homework....hope your dream works out!!!

#24     Oct 21, 2007
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Best of luck with your dream fatrat, but I thought you might like this tidbit:

Tom had been in the liquor business for 25 years. Finally sick of the stress he quits his job and buys 50 acres of land in Alaska as far from humanity as possible.
    He sees the postman once a week and gets groceries once a month. Otherwise it's total peace and quiet.

After six months or so of almost total isolation, someone knocks on his door. He opens it and a huge, bearded man is standing there.

"Name's Cliff, your neighbor from forty miles up the road. Having a Christmas party Friday night. Thought you might like to come. About 5:00."

Great", says Tom, "after six months out here I'm ready to meet some local folks. Thank you."

As Cliff is leaving, he stops. "Gotta warn you. Be some drinking'."

"Not a problem" says Tom. "After 25 years in the business, I can drink with the best of 'em"

Again, the big man starts to leave and stops. "More 'n' likely gonna be some fighting' too."

"Well, I get along with people, I'll be all right. I'll be there. Thanks again."

"More'n likely be some wild sex, too,"

"Now that's really not a problem" says Tom, warming to the idea. "I've been all alone for six months! I'll definitely be there. By the way, what should I wear?"

"Don't much matter. Just gonna be the two of us."

#25     Oct 21, 2007
  6. Bob111

Bob111

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/energy_family_news/4216183.html

i'm not sure,if they post on web all articles from this guy like they did in magazine, but you can probably get an idea about living off the grid. take a vacation for couple months and go there on jan-feb and if you like it-go for it :)

#26     Oct 21, 2007
  7. 2006

I wouldn't go too far up north. I would recommend BC.

Pemberton could be a good place for you to move -- its about 40 Minutes north/west of Whistler and a little out of the way if that's what you want.

#27     Oct 21, 2007
  8. Just move to northern Montana, Idaho, Minnesota, or Wisconsin....all super beautiful areas imo. You don't need to go to Canada to find boonies and you are much better off staying in the U.S.

#28     Oct 21, 2007
  9. Will this be your first winter?

#29     Oct 21, 2007
  10. fatrat

fatrat

First of all, American citizens aren't the hardcore polluters. Second, if you look at some of the property in Canada, a lot of foreign companies are stripping the trees and doing some mining.

You should be encouraging people to come in and use the land for something other than chopping down the trees and putting holes in the ground.

#30     Oct 21, 2007