American IT companies can not find workers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Sep 15, 2011.

1. There is no shortage of talent.

What there is is a shortage of companies willing to pay top dollar for talent.

#31     Sep 16, 2011
  2. Just went to Monster.com. There is no company with the name Gazzang advertising jobs for developers in the last month. Also checked the Austin Chronicle and there were only 6 IT jobs in the classifieds and none of them were Gazzang.

Maybe the reason they cant find workers is because nobody knows they are looking for workers.

Perhaps the CEO of this company is also a liberal who wants people to think that economy is doing ok under Obama so he comes up with a B.S. story about how he cant find workers.

#32     Sep 16, 2011
  3. The indian consulting companies were very smart to take talent "out of the equation"....and bid on the basis of price.
    Companies don't have "talent" on their radar anymore.
    That explains the crappy software out there.....including MSFT's as well as the buggy websites I run into everyday.

Exception: Goldman and others pay top, top dollar for their talented HFT programmers.....way into 6 figures. Natch, these guys make them dozens of millions of dollars.

For everyone else, programmers are simply an expense.

#33     Sep 16, 2011
  4. even walmart cant find workers. i was in my local walmart last night about 8 pm. there are about 30 checkouts in that store. 3 were open and the lines were 10 deep. after standing there for 10 min i jumped all over the manager. she said we just cant fnd workers.
    its probably mostly because walmart doesnt pay much but still.

#34     Sep 16, 2011
  5. he lied. there has never been shortage of workers for walmart. job scarcity is a myth and always has been. real job scarcity is only existent in bubbles which will implode eventually (IT, real estate). you ain't gonna tell me the biggest grocer in the world can't find workers?

having 3 checkout counters could also be a strategy. it has been well tested in practice, and it's probably the most efficient amount of registers that make money at that moment in time (for example 5 pm on sunday). everything is logged, you can bet they know they are not under or overstaffed, but staffed at the most efficiënt level.

#35     Sep 16, 2011
  6. I don't believe the Walmart manager for a moment. If nothing else, workers at that end of the income scale are incredibly sensitive to small changes in pay - add $0.25/hr to the starting wage and they'd be flooded with applicatants.

It sounds like a canned excuse to deflect from a "how much pain will our customers tolerate" policy.

#36     Sep 16, 2011
  7. Indeed, it sounds like an excuse so that Free Thinker wouldn't get pissed off.

#37     Sep 16, 2011
  8. rew

rew

If people aren't getting into programming careers now it's because they know that after their second year of employment they'll be forced to train their cheaper H-1b replacement and then get laid off.

#38     Sep 16, 2011
  9. I've been an EE for the Gov (DOD) for almost 30 years. And for almost 30 years I've been hearing the "Help! We can't get enough tech workers..." bullshiite. Just an excuse for companies to bring in/outsource $5/hr tech-mill foreign bozos that Americans have to train.

Even in civil service, which doesn't pay that great, we get all the engineers we need. 'Course, most of them are asian now... :(

#39     Sep 16, 2011
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Interesting enough, one of the CEOs quoted in this article has been regularly quoted in IT industry media about how to get cheap workers in the U.S. by abusing the visa system, paying low-rate contractors without benefits, and shifting work-offshore.

In other words the article is pretty much B.S., and as noted by other posters the companies quoted actually have not posted any help-wanted advertisements in the U.S.

#40     Sep 17, 2011