American IT companies can not find workers

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Sep 15, 2011.

1. trader99

trader99

Law is not that great either. Tons of law students come out with
    six figures DEBT and no jobs. End up waiting tables.

Law only makes sense if you have a technical background(engineering, physics, chemistry, biology) to do IP
    law. There's less need for regular lawyers who is also being
    outsourced and automated...

#21     Sep 15, 2011
  2. trader99

trader99

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/tech-hiring-boom-leads-lucrative-offers-computer-science-grads

"King 5 takes a look at the tech hiring boom in Seattle, focusing on Google’s growth plans and talking to University of Washington computer science students who are entertaining offers of more than $90,000 right out of school. "

#22     Sep 15, 2011
  3. This.

When I graduated in a down economy, all I could find was a job that paid 54k. I quit that job in 4months and within 7 months was making nearly double, then poured all that cash into a speculative bet in the markets that paid off and have long since left the idiotic world of software engineering.

Screw these companies, unless they give you an equity stake. Don't even settle for options with shady vesting periods and terms.

#23     Sep 15, 2011
  4. kxvid

kxvid

There is always a shortage of talent. There is always employer and employee whining. If these employers actually were willing (and patient and well capitalized enough) to train their workers, they could get good internally developed people.

So this employer just wants qualified people who have already "been there, done that"? The few qualified people like that are staying with their original employers, where they gained their experience. They really need to pay up above market salaries and compensate for the lack of job security inherent in a startup venture to recruit 'talent".

#24     Sep 15, 2011
  5. That's exactly what I intend to do. I am tired of fighting the greedy agencies.

#25     Sep 16, 2011
  6. If you remember the "mudmen" from the Lord of the Rings movie series.....that's exactly what's happening.

#26     Sep 16, 2011
  7. Excellent post! Very enlightening.

#27     Sep 16, 2011
  8. THis means we have to increase H1B's from India to about 500k a year

#28     Sep 16, 2011
  9. In 2000, Lawyers were at $120-175 per hour. Now they are at $225-$300.
    In 2000, Doctors were at $90-150 per hour. Now they are at $190-260 per hour.
    In 2000, CPA's were at $70-120 per hour. Now they are at $130-180 per hour.

IT professionals today: comparatively at a poverty level.

#29     Sep 16, 2011
  10. Chausey

Chausey

In the article they are just looking for PHP/JAVA/OO/C++/Python guys. Just programmers with engineering aptitude with 10-20 years experience. Those guys deserve at 100k. Except these social media jockeys only want to pay 50k. And then they will complain when it takes forever to get to the product launch date.

#30     Sep 16, 2011