american ignorance on how our tax system works

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Nov 21, 2012.

1. the government provides a lot of services the people demand. it costs money.
    everybody pays the same tax on dollars earned.

#11     Nov 21, 2012
  2. I am for lowering the rates and closing loopholes.

#12     Nov 21, 2012
  3. Yes and we collect more revenue by lowering the rates and closing loopholes for everybody. We ultimately need to cut spending, particularly healthcare spending.

#13     Nov 21, 2012
  4. political realities mean loopholes are next to impossible to close. we have to deal in reality here.
    we could cut healthcare costs tomorrow by going to single payer and eliminating the insurance middle man estimated to cost 20%. in reality its not going to happen yet.
    example. the government pays 50% more for drugs than it should. that is because when bush gave seniors the drug benefit the republican congress specifically banned medicare from negotiating drug costs. we pay full retail on drugs. how is that sensible?

#14     Nov 21, 2012
  5. Reality? Congress has been spending fantasy money for decades. If they had ever, EVER dealt in reality, we wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

#15     Nov 21, 2012
  6. It's not. That should be on the table as well. I'm a fiscal conservative, but I'm not partisan, and I'm sure as hell not going to defend Bush.

#16     Nov 21, 2012
  7. the trouble with congress is simple. every congress person talks cutting spending. the problem is they all , even the tea party hypocrites like paul ryan, want to cut the other guys spending while working to get every dollar they can for their own district.

figure out a way to fix that and you have a solution.

#17     Nov 21, 2012
  8. BSAM

BSAM

So, if a criminal stabs you twice, he's a really bad dude, but if he only stabs you once, that's not such a big deal, right?

#18     Nov 21, 2012
  9. that was brilliant. how long did that take you to think up? isnt it about time you throw out the fair tax bs you are selling? funny thing. every fair tax idea you guys propose has a common theme. the rich get to pay less while the poor get to pay more. sounds fair doesnt it?

#19     Nov 21, 2012
  10. Right now poor people don't contribute to anything other than their own social security. With the payroll tax credit they're barely contributing to that as well. How is it fair that they don't have to pay a dime in income tax when people are paying an effective rate that's well over 30% right now?

#20     Nov 21, 2012