American dream = American nightmare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by doli, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Here is a report from the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco.

http://www.frbsf.org/econrsrch/wklyltr/wklyltr98/el98-19.html

I'm not sure why you conservative clowns think that a republican president is better for the economy. Read the conclusion of the report.

Conclusion

Over the years, stock analysts have suggested that the market prefers Republicans in the White House. This apparently arises from the view that Republican administrations are more favorable toward business than Democratic administrations. Most studies attempting to document this have focused on the stock returns around elections, and find weak evidence for this in the behavior of the stock market. In this study, we examine the returns on the market over the Democratic and Republican terms in office from 1871 to 1997. We find, contrary to earlier belief, that there is no support for returns being different under one political party versus the other. The old adage that the market prefers Republicans is not evidenced. On the contrary, the evidence indicates a slightly, but not statistically significant, higher returns during Democratic administrations.

#11     Jun 6, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Not "half as bad"... TWICE as bad!

#12     Jun 6, 2008
  3. I don't think he will be printing money to spend it. He will probably increase taxes. If I have a choice between higher taxes and a strong dollar vs. lower taxes and a weak dollar, I will take the higher taxes, at least the money that is left after the taxes will be able to buy more.

#13     Jun 6, 2008
  4. spidey

spidey

I'm not crazy about Obama, but McCain is shady (Keating 5 anyone?) and Bush/Cheney were so bad I'm surprised they are still in office. Don't be surprised if Bush or Cheney end up in prison, there is already talk about how there was deception/outright fraud used to invade Iraq. This run in oil is all due to Republican deregulation of the futures markets. The banks/hedgies are just trading between themselves via NYC/London/Dubai exchanges, just like how Enron ran up electricity in California, it's the same scam.

I think the public is sick of the Republican gangsters.

:mad:

#14     Jun 7, 2008
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Take one guess who hired the Enron energy traders.

#15     Jun 7, 2008
  6. "already"? lol, where have you been for the last 6 years? the whole operation was a transparent farce from the get-go.

the real reason to fear for the US is not economic, per se - economic trends are reversible. the irreversible changes that have occurred over the past 20 years (or at least extremely difficult to reverse) are more troublesome: the attitudes toward government intrusion and manipulation of private matters, the conglomeration of media sources, the enormous increase in surveillance, police militarism, and the prison industry, rampant overspending and gigantic debts as standard policy, and the apathy of the public toward blatant lies and illegal conduct from all corners of government.

rights and freedoms given up are very difficult to regain without extraordinary measures. although there are many factors that have contributed to the US's success, all of them are ultimately dependent on those rights and freedoms (economic and legal). once they are gone, the rest doesn't matter.

#16     Jun 7, 2008
  7. #17     Jun 7, 2008
  8. By the way, your previous post (link) was 10 years out of date.

#18     Jun 7, 2008
  9. Amen, couldn't have said it any better myself.

#19     Jun 7, 2008
  10. Just for historic reference, here's the last couple times when the US has been declared 'dead' and the middle class was on the brink of bankruptcy and lining up at soup kitchens:

1981/82 (1982 vision of 2019 Los Angeles, scene from 'Bladerunner': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qL8dF1fbPY&feature=related)
    1990/91 (Housing & banking rout, scene from 'Glen Gary Glenn Ross': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI&feature=related)
    1998 (LTCM)
    2001/02 (Tech burst aftermath, 9/11, Enron & Worldcom, Argetina debt default)

and now 2008.

Of course, 2008 is the 'worst' of them all. It's not like the US faced tough times before. This time is different.

#20     Jun 7, 2008