American Atheists...wow are they great

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Dec 10, 2003.

1. yeah, put what the bill is worth, and that's that. this crap never should have been put on money in the first place. time to go bye-bye.

#21     Dec 10, 2003
  2. I agree it should never have been there in the first place. I'm just curious from a historical perspective why there is suddenly a strong backlash against god in our society.

From what I studied of Rome, it looks like they started to do the exact same things shortly before their empire fell. I'm not saying there is a correlation, but I do wonder why suddenly saying, "One nation, under god ..." is suddenly bad and why the Supreme Court is dealing with all these issues of "Church vs. State."

#22     Dec 10, 2003

3. coil,

read " the fourth turning" by strauss and howe. you may like it.

surfer

#23     Dec 10, 2003
  4. Read the link:

"I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem."

There is a separation of which particular religion to be practiced and the state. This country was founded not on a lack of religious belief, but a belief that all should be able to practice their religion without persecution.

A particular religion should not be looked to for answers of state matters, but God may be looked to. There is a difference between the concept of God and a particular religion.

God is implied by the founding fathers, and no where is it said that God, Father, or Creator should not be used.

That allows for anyone to select which God, Father, or Creator they want to worship, or don't want to worship.

God is a spiritual concept, accepted by all religions. Even atheists accept the concept of God, they simply don't believe in it.

So the use of the term God in a generic sense is acceptable. God just means higher power in general from a spiritual perspective.

For those like you who see themselves as their own higher power, you are free to worship yourself all you want.

#24     Dec 10, 2003
  5. saxon

saxon

Brother Gordo,

Don't you think atheists are just as guilty of blind faith as theists? Both claim an unprovable truth. Why not just acknowledge the unknown as unknown.

The rest comes from evil.

sax

#25     Dec 10, 2003
  6. that is my position! i don't claim to know the answers. unknown is the answer. but i do say with 99.99999999999% certainty that man-made religious beliefs are probably false.

why can't religious people admit they don't know? that's what's so annoying. they actually think they know and they're OBVIOUSLY CLUELESS. and on top of it all, they don't seem to mind REJECTING SCIENCE (ex. evolution).

as for evil, i don't believe in the concept of evil, as in like an evil force or something.

#26     Dec 10, 2003
  7. You can say you are 100% certain, but that is no more proof than a theist saying they are 100% certain.

The concept of man-made religious beliefs require some working concept of religious beliefs not made by man to even make sense.

You have a concept of God, you just don't believe in it.

Consequently you are practicing a belief system.

#27     Dec 10, 2003
  8. Thanks surfer! I'll check it out

#28     Dec 10, 2003
  9. What I find most amazing when I study history is just how important religion plays in the role of many notable people's lives.

[​IMG]
    Leonhard Euler
    e = 2.718281828459045
    e^(i*pi) - 1 = 0

For instance, Leonhard Euler (pronounced "oiler") was perhaps the most prolific mathematician in history (giving us the famous Euler constant e = 2.71828). He also was responsible for discovering one of the most harmonious equations ever written -- e^(i*pi) - 1 = 0 -- A formula that links 5 of the most important constants of math. Not only was he deeply religious throughout his life, but he also went totally blind during his last 17 years of life, yet was able to contribute more than half of all his work during this period.

Each time Gordon goes off on another atheist tangent, I will mention another very notable person in history that made huge contributions to humanity through math, science and the arts and also believed in god.

#29     Dec 11, 2003
  10. I believe it should be e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

#30     Dec 11, 2003