America will collapse when the do-nothing-but-play-videogames generation grows up?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crgarcia, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Did America collapse when the pot smoking hippies from the 60s entered the workforce?

Yes, but not right away.

#11     Jan 28, 2009
  2. h1b visas and outsourcing fill fix that problem

#12     Jan 28, 2009
  3. Most of you guys seem to have misinterpreted the OP. I don't think he's talking about those currently aged 27-45. I think he's talking about those currently aged 14-26. And he's right, partly. Anyone who disagrees don't spend a lot of time around kids.

One of the biggest reasons that America's hegemony will be undermined is the fact that it cannot adequately educate their kids. This is ironic, since the best educations are available in the U.S. Unfortunately for Americans, it's foreigners who are coming here, grabbing the best of what the country has to offer, and going back home. Why American kids cannot take advantage is an open question.

#13     Jan 28, 2009
  4. I'm 24, have a degree and a decent paying job ($50k+/year). However, I work in the construction industry. Not finance.

Why aren't most American kids taking advantage of something that the foreigners are? Because the jobs don't pay shit. The foreigners will do the same job for less money.

I have plenty of friends with graduate degrees who can't find decent jobs. They aren't asking for much either ($30-35k starting salary in Chicago), which I don't think is unreasonable for a recent grad with a masters.

30-40 years ago, you could get a good paying job right out of high school. You could perhaps move up within the company and retire before age 60. The current generation is staying in school longer, earning much lower wages, and are expected to be just as knowledgeable as the baby boomers they're replacing.

#14     Jan 28, 2009
  5. If you want to know why this country is fuked, just turn on MTV for one hour.

"My Super Sweet Sixteen" could be the worst show in the history of the U.S. Nothing but a bunch of whining lazy mostly overweight kids with a sense of entitlement the likes I have never witnessed. All of them get lavish parties and brand new cars FOR THEIR 16th BIRTHDAY?!?! It's disgusting.

Part of the blame goes to the parents too. Their priorites and family values are obviously far out of whack.

The destruction of family values has ushered in the downfall of this country.

#15     Jan 28, 2009
  6. It's a little ridiculous to judge an entire generation based on what you see on a FAKE television show.

#16     Jan 29, 2009
  7. How is it fake? Are the people and all their guests actors? Are the luxury cars and parties just props?

The whole MTV watching crowd has been ghetto-fide. Hip-hop, rap, and the ghetto culture of bling, cars, houses, and cash is all it's about.

Kids are very influenced by that and they grow up wanting all that crap, but they don't want to work for it.

#17     Jan 29, 2009
  8. Yeah, well that's the parents fault...the kids need to be beaten into oblivion...
    too much time out..

too many women folk that grew hair under the pits and needed to get a job, mainly because their government takes all their money in taxes and one income can't afford to make the bills..

Back in the 50's, a man used to be a blue collar worker, his wife would stay at home, they would have a mortgage, a car, a tv, and when they retired, they'd get a little house by the lake. A comfortable life...

This doesn't exist anymore...

#18     Jan 29, 2009
  9. They cannot take advantage because of a sense of entitlement and the age of the internet. The dot com era produced millionaires and billionaires before the age of 40. The prior generation did not expect that level of success until 50+. As a result, this kids are constantly looking for shortcuts.

Working your way up is a suckers game to this group.

#19     Jan 29, 2009