America Spreading Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dotslashfuture, Apr 11, 2003.

1. 1946 Dec. 2 - US and British zones merged
    1947 June 5 - Marshall Plan announceded
    1947 Oct. - op. Talk Back to use media for a "vigourous information programs" against communism
    1948 Feb. 9 - Frankfurt Charter - bizone for West Germany
    1948 June 24 - Berlin Blockade for 11 months until May 12, 1949
    1949 May - Basic Law adopted by Bonn Parliamentary Council to create a federal government
    Sept. 7 - Parliament convened after elections won by Christian Democratic Union led by Konrad Adenauer as new Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany
    Sept. 21 - High Commissioner John J. McCloy replaced military occupation goverment

#11     Apr 11, 2003
  2. from 1945 to 1949, U.S. and Britain occupied germany under martial law, and worked to rebuild civil infrastructure and societal framework. In 1949 a genuine german government infrastructure was finalized, although officially occupation continued until 1955.

The fascist government was wiped from the face of the earth and replaced with a democratic government.

#12     Apr 11, 2003
  3. msfe

msfe

not by Britain and the USA

besides: the official Russian occupation continued until 1990 - withdrawal of the Red Army was finalized 1994

when will the American fascist government be wiped from the face of the earth and replaced with a democratic government ?

#13     Apr 11, 2003
  4. "not by Britain and the USA"

yeah, so who did it, the aliens ? LOL

the more you fight the obvious, the dumber you look. If there is anybody who doesn't have you on ignore, after this thread there won't be !

#14     Apr 11, 2003
  5. msfe

msfe

told you, the Germans did it - not the British & American aliens

besides: the Japanese Emperor was the same before, during and after WWII

#15     Apr 11, 2003
  6. Ignorant, ignorant statement. Announcing surrender, Hirohito publicly proclaimed that he was not a god. His status changed immensely.

To say the US had nothing to do with Japan emerging from the ashes of WWII is patently ridiculous; you would be laughed at by most Japanese. I should know, I lived there. Even the Japanese Communists acknowledge the role the US played postwar, for Chrissake.

You're an idiot Army of one.

#16     Apr 11, 2003
  7. Babak

Babak

Woah there msfe !!

You are fast running deeper and deeper over your head. I did a major thesis on the Japanese reconstruction (I have cursory knowledge of the German one).

But what you are trying to say is CATEGORICALLY WRONG !!

Here is what the US gave Japan (among other things):

Broke up the zaibatsu (monopolies controlling commerce thereby unleashing competition and thousands of companies -- some with funny names like Toyota and Honda)

Implemented land reform (giving farmers incentives to grow and sell food at market prices)

Implemented law/justice system

Wrote a new constitution

Provided a military (thereby allowing the Japanese economy to absolutely bypass this drain on their economy)

Gave them tax experts, engineers, civil servants, statisticians (among them the BRILLIANT Deming who is still to this day revered as a God in Japan --> www.deming.org) etc....

Purged the old ruling class and installed a younger generation to take over management of commerce and government

And for your information (when you state the Emperor was the same before and after) you are sooo wrong it is laughable. What you are trying to imply is that the Emperor somehow had a hand in the reconstruction. That is not true.

As you know (or may not know) the Japanese worshipped their Emperor as a God. In fact they were taught that he was not really like them -- human but divinely endowed and ordained. That is part of the reason why they were so willing to commit suicide for him (kamikaze). BTW does that sound familiar?

Anyway, the Emperor was basically God to them. From childhood they were taught to worship this guy, not question him EVER, respect him, love him, sing songs about him, etc......

And what does he do? He gets up on radio and tells them that he is not God, that he is a human like them. That their country has been conquered and taken over. That they should now assist their new conquerers.....etc.

Japanese conscience was BROKEN. Not just by a military loss but by seeing the Emperor as empty and impotent as they themselves were.

Maaaan!! I thought you were ignorant but with every post you prove me more and more right than I ever imagined!!

please keep it up

(I need my daily dose of endorphines released by a good belly laugh you provide)

:p

[ps I wrote this before seeing the above post]

#17     Apr 11, 2003
  8. Babak

Babak

And these democratic elections just sprang up spontaneously out of the Nazi and Hirohito regime, right? Just poof! Magic !!

Man, you are on some designer drugs there! :p

#18     Apr 11, 2003
  9. Babak

Babak

Just as soon as the lavender monkeys you are seeing stop dancing on the liquid clock and continue with their interrupted soliloquy.

:p

#19     Apr 11, 2003
  10. Yes, it does seem like msfe is content to seize upon minor points of confusion or incompleteness and think that by refuting them he has actually scored a point or two. Sorry msfe, I'm afraid I won't be paying much attention to your comments if this pattern of behavior persists.

He does, however, have a point that it was the Germans and Italians and Japanese themselves who actually carried out the processes after the US had provided some assistance.

After Germany's defeat, the allies were actually purposely stifling the German economy for a couple of years before they decided that that wasn't such a wise course of action.

In any case, dotslash's contention could not be more wrong. I don't think he has any idea what he's talking about. The US definitely destabilized more democracies than it has "installed". And even in cases where it has influenced the shift to "democracy", such as Eastern Europe and the former USSR, the quality of life for people is worse than what they had before. The big misconception proud patriots like dotslash labor under is that freedom comes #1. But it's bullshit. There is so much more than simply "freedom" (without getting into a battle of definitions over this term) that goes into raising quality of life. As usual, though, most Americans are only too keen to swallow whatever catch phrase feels good, or "sounds" right; heaven forbid the harsh reality should ever enter the picture.

#20     Apr 11, 2003