America & Prison

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CrackPipe, Aug 5, 2011.

1. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

The fact that there are more black kids in prison than education startled me though. Geez what a situation!

#11     Aug 7, 2011
  2. Thats not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#cite_note-31

"However, more blacks are enrolled in college than in prison. According to the US Census Bureau as of the year 2000 there were 2,224,181 blacks enrolled in college. In that same year there were only 610,300 black inmates in prison according to the Bureau of Justice. 12.5 percent have a bachelor’s degree. The results are highly dependent on education. 30 percent of those without college education and nearly 60 percent of high school dropouts had prison records."

#12     Aug 7, 2011
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Yeah, I didn't know that either.

I read somewhere that if marijuana were decriminalized and all past marijuana offenders were released and/or pardoned that the prison population would be halved.

That might be a good start. Dunno, they seem like the most harmless of the prison population but I've never been to jail or prison and so have no first hand knowledge.

Well, there was that coupla hours in an Ensenada jail but we won't go there. :D

#13     Aug 7, 2011
  4. bone

bone

Prisons are the best investment for my considerable tax dollars.

#14     Aug 7, 2011
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Wow, inferiority complex much? Is it any wonder the folks at the bottom have such hair-trigger ego defense when guys like you are, for the love of God (which you profess), still taking up valuable space on this Earth with: ok, ok, so they're working more as a proportion of their population, but it's just work any monkey could do, here's proof", and you take time to go looking for it!.

Loser! Note the capital.

#15     Aug 7, 2011
  6. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

Dude, it is true.

You cant quote data thats TEN YEARS OLD!!!!

we're talking about today!

#16     Aug 8, 2011
  7. byteme

byteme

Whether his assertions are true or not, I'm surprised Eight didn't mention 'Jessie Jackmeup'...he normally does when he speaks about this topic....

#17     Aug 8, 2011
  8. pspr

pspr

A K is FULL of IT.

Just 51.5 percent of African-Americans across the board--compared to 59.5 percent of whites--have a job, the numbers show. That's the lowest level for blacks since 1984. (That group includes 16- to 19-year-olds, who are employed at a far lower rate than their elders.)

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/employment-rate-black-men-record-low-182606098.html

#18     Aug 8, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Frankly, I'm surprised the percentages are so close.

#19     Aug 8, 2011
  10. Eight

Eight

Ancient Israel didn't have prisons. I don't see how Bible readers can support their anti-crime stuff with prisons... In that day and time if a perp was found guilty they had to pay back several times what they took and they could be made slaves to the people they wronged to pay it off... that would be very satisfying to have a temporary worker for awhile and getting my stuff back several times over...

On another note, I worked in the private sector for decades, much of it in fortune 500 companies, I rarely saw a black worker. Democrats have to keep expanding government to give jobs to Black workers and now they have screwed up finances going, their rates are getting jacked, it's going to keep getting harder. They use the situation to keep Black voters on inner city reservations and voting for them. Without that Black vote the Democrats couldn't get a job catching dogs and they know it so they will push the country to the edge of bankruptcy just to stay in power... I want leadership with noble character not lying manipulative welfare statists...

#20     Aug 8, 2011