America is a country which punishes the middle-class

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bugscoe, Nov 22, 2010.

1. itsame

itsame

LOL. Not sure you saw the original link!

#21     Nov 22, 2010
  2. Right wingers and liberals have destroyed the country. It's such a shame...

#22     Nov 22, 2010
  3. drcha

drcha

First of all, at least get the language right:

America is a country THAT punishes the middle class. (with no hyphen)

Who is stopping people from figuring out how they will provide for their children BEFORE they have them? What a concept--could anyone possibly do a little advance planning?

#23     Nov 22, 2010
  4. LeeD

LeeD

“The investment will likely not keep pace with the cost of tuition, which continues to rise at roughly twice the rate of inflation,” said Stephen Jobe, director of 529 programs for New York-based BlackRock Inc., with about $4 billion in plan assets. “At that rate, a family will never get ahead.”

Tuition and fees at public four-year colleges and universities increased at an average rate of 5.6 percent a year beyond the rate of general inflation in the past decade, according to the College Board, a New York-based nonprofit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ight-leave-parents-short-at-tuition-time.html

Edit: after re-reading Drcha's post I think he might have implied only the super-rich, the super-poor and the foreigners should be allowed to have children.

#24     Nov 22, 2010
  5. edpolton

edpolton

The author has a point but I would rather see more accurate numbers.

A family making 60K does not pay 13k in taxes. More like 5k after mortgage interest deductions, child tax credit, etc.

And Medicaid/Chip for two people is not worth anywhere near 16k.

#25     Nov 22, 2010
  6. If you have a society where people *should* think about that before they have kids, your society is screwed (think Africa).

If you have a society where people *choose* to think about it, you're screwed (think Japan).

Having children is the most normal of human activities; if that isn't readily supportable by a society, at something higher than replacement rate, there are serious underlying issues and the culture will most likely not make it.

#26     Nov 22, 2010
  7. LeeD

LeeD

The table article is talking about 4 people, presumably 2 of them are children. Only one of the 4 is working.

#27     Nov 22, 2010
  8. I agree with this. The author if fairly blatently trying to exaggerate his claims.
    "Most private workplaces require drug testing, but there is no drug testing to get welfare checks.". I have never had a job require this (of course I'm sure some do, but MOST?). The medicare thing is nuts - I don't pay hardly $1K for health insurance and they assume full deductables/copays each year.

EDITED TO ADD:
    From the article:
    "Tonight's stunning financial piece de resistance comes from Wyatt Emerich of The Cleveland Current."

So, shouldn't this guy quit then if he thinks people are such stupid idiots to work?

JJacksET4

#28     Nov 22, 2010
  9. LeeD

LeeD

Unless he is the wealthy publisher of the aforementioned newspaper (and many others).

http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing-advertising/advertising/1038325-1.html

#29     Nov 22, 2010
  10. zdreg

zdreg

take any woman who buys a fur coat for $6000 on sale from $10000.
    she will tell her husband she saved him $4000/

#30     Nov 22, 2010