america before ther nanny state

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Nov 19, 2011.

was america a better place to live before the nanny state?

1. yes it was

31 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. no it was not

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. not sure

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. I'm not actually against anything. If this country were to split up guess what - the liberal states have the money the conservative states subsidize themselves with. The only consistently conservative states that pay their own way are Georgia and Texas. So, if you guys leave, it's a huge net win for us.
    I was merely pointing out that I've paid my money and made my choice. You apparently haven't, since you're so dissatisfied with living in the US, apparently. Can't help you there.

#31     Nov 20, 2011
  2. Now federal law is a problem?

Could have sworn I've read hundreds of comments on here about the Euro being doomed to fail because it *doesn't* have a strong federal charter, allowing individual states to opt out of anything and everything and chart their own course.

Seems to me the root cause lies elsewhere...

#32     Nov 20, 2011
  3. You do realize that "states" don't pay taxes, individuals pay taxes, right? If the Republicans are "the party of the rich", that means that rich individuals in liberal states are the ones paying the taxes.

Don't flatter yourself that you lefties actually subsidize anything. All you do is shuffle the paperwork around in the various bureaucracies.

#33     Nov 20, 2011
  4. I could swear I never made one of those comments, so it's a moot point to me. Not to mention that I wasn't talking about Europe or making an argument for or against "federalism" in general.

#34     Nov 20, 2011
  5. Archin

Archin

For most americans the high standard of living is going to take a drastic downturn, it has already started.

#35     Nov 20, 2011
  6. zdreg

zdreg

not for the privileged class i.e government workers

#36     Nov 20, 2011
  7. bigarrow
    ------------------------------

You and the rest of the Libtards are gona pay the price in unemployment and higher cost of living, as I'm sure you are now.

If I would guess....MR. ARROW, you'r a retried old fool living off some pension probably 3x that of your salary that you paid little into. Either Union or Gov.

Nobody is saying to return to industrial revolution times and IMHO your clueless about the Labor in Foreign countries, other than the crap you read by the idiots libtards.

I deal with places like CHINA, Vietnam, Indonesia. Yes, Indonesia is probably the worst as they are now coming into the "Industrial World". China's cost of Production is rising as their min wag and labor laws are going into effect, pushing the cost of doing business a lot higher....

I have a friend who has a global Hedge Fund. One office is in Mumbai. He pays his "IT" Quants one third of what he would here in the US. They live like kings and work hard. So what.

It's a Global Economy now.

Pull your head outa your arse and learn a few things from experience and not through some article in the NY TIMES or where ever else your crusted old ass gets the news.

Regulation at this point, is overdone and destroying the little Manufacturing Industry left in the US. They can not compete on a Global Level. We need sensible regulation not Over Regulation like you LIbtards push.

Idiots.

#37     Nov 20, 2011
  8. ammo

ammo

THE DOWNTRODDEN IN OTHER COUNTRIES WHO WORK FOR $15 A WEEK WHILE THE CORPS CLEAN UP,WE FOUGHT HARD TO END THIS,IT SWUNG A LITTLE TO FAR ,BUT TO TAKE IT BACKWARDS 100 YEARS RATHER THAN BRING UP THE STANDARD OF LIVING IN THESE OTHER COUNTRIES,I DONT THING THAT IS LIBTARD THINKING,QUALITY OF LIFE ,HUMAN RIGHTS,COUPLE OF OTHER PHRASES COME TO MIND

#38     Nov 20, 2011
  9. We have a Republican gov'nr here in Joisey, ya know. The difference between you and him is - he has sane views. He's a regular Republican, not a nutcase.
    Meantime, just to let you know, taxes in general are higher in the liberal states for the simple reason we have to pay for a lot more infrastructure than a meridian highway or two that gets built by the Feds anyway. Which of course means it gets built with the capital - that is, the taxes - generated on the coasts, by us, not in the middle or the Heart O' Dixie, where they think the Feds are eeevuul.
    Try riding a NYC subway at rush hour from any one of the outer boroughs. What you'll see is a large number of people reading textbooks to get ahead, on any one of a number of trades, whether it be nursing, mechanical engineering or paralegal or whatever else you can think of. The cities are where the ambitious poor head to do what they have to do for a better life. The trailer parks in the South are where the stupes who are content with what they can get at Wal-Mart sit around and drink beer.
    One is getting ahead, the other - isn't.
    Feel free to split off anytime.

#39     Nov 20, 2011
  10. that's what I keep trying to tell you, people in the South are more content than people in the city. If you want money go to the city, if you want to be content head south.

Also, what is a stupe? Sounds like one of those silly slang words the British come up with. They think if they just say the first syllable and drop the last syllable that that constitutes an acceptable slang word.

#40     Nov 20, 2011