AMD or Intel for Trading with 4 monitors with eSignal for around 20 charts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by killer007, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AMD or Intel for Trading with 4 monitors with eSignal for around 20 charts?

2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I'm not sure it makes a difference as long as you get a quad core, 64 bit OS and lots of RAM. But I prefer the i7.

3. um...why i7?
    its much better processor?

4. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I have built PCs in the past. Maybe 8 of them. Last time was 4 years ago. The guy that taught me how to go about picking the components said he liked Intel better, so I always used Intel. When I read about the I7, it seems pretty bad ass. If the AMD is just as good, you won't notice the difference for your task.

I think keeping your trading computer clean of anything that will slow it down will help. While you are trading, use that computer for only trading. Use another PC for email, music etc.

5. Schaefer

Schaefer

It's a much better processor for gaming..lol

Get whatever is on sale, and you'll be fine. Contrary to what most people believe, you don't need much graphic, or computing power for charting and trading programs. Now, if you're into gaming as well, such as, FPS, or flight sims, then yeah, you'd need a power house.

I'm running two 24 inch monitors, each at 1920x1200 resolution, filled with Sierra Charts, Excel, trading program, Chrome with multiple tabs opened, and the CPU usage under Windows Task Manger is still under 15% on a lowly Core i5 processor. Memory usage is only around 3.5 to 4 gig.

Schaefer

6. so i guess if for trading the computer will be good with AMD setup even with tons of tasks or browser going on?

Its been many years and just wnat to see if any difference does it make if using AMD and Intel, and if AMD catch up to intel yet

7. Sometime the bottleneck is limit by the memory or disk I/O. I am not been following up with AMD, but I would say got for Intel. It might run cooler than AMD. AMD is around because Intel let it hang around.

8. xandman

xandman

The key question: Does Esignal support Hyper-threading? You will have to email Esignal support. If not, the i5 is sufficient.

The AMD vs Intel is a dead horse. Intel won.

I am not working of a bias, btw. I run 2 AMD machines. It's what newegg had on sale.

9. moonmist

moonmist

Hi,

Sierra Chart is written in C++. It is very fast and lightweight.

http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index...-be-really-helpful.288256/page-2#post-4061536

For other trading software, a slow i5 processor may not be enough.

Just my two cents.

10. Zzoom

Zzoom

I've built a few PCs for trading.

IMHO, if you want to save some pennies its fine to go with a quad core AMD.

Whatever you do make sure you get an SSD. The performance hit sticking with a cheaper traditional HDD is just not worth it.

#10     Jan 19, 2015