AMD Lost 400 Million in Q1: Only Has 1.2 Billion In Cash Reserves

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Fact is, INTC has been profitable, and even pays a dividend every year, AMD hasn't ever made money for it's shareholders, ever.

Even though INTC lost some of their bottom line, they STILL come in-line with earnings, and are STILL profitable.

#11     Apr 21, 2007
  2. hels02

hels02

First of all, you are posting on an AMD thread, not INTC.

You're right, INTC is a relatively stable, 'blue chip' type of stock, which fluctuates about as much as most other blue chip stocks, which is not much. It has a current 52 week range of 16.75-$22.50.

So? What does this have to do with AMD and the opening article?

AMD's fluctuated 12.60-$34.96, which is pretty typical of AMD year after year... wild rides, huge option profits due to massive volatility. AMD is down, this is discussion worthy... is Intel interesting? Not really. It's the investment equivalent of watching paint dry.

#12     Apr 21, 2007
  3. hels, I was posting in response to the comment about AMD taking a hit on their bottom line to hurt INTC's bottom line more.

I was saying that INTC didn't really get hurt, and they're maintaining profitablility while AMD fucks themself over.

#13     Apr 21, 2007
  4. hels02

hels02

You flipped that statement around. I never said AMD voluntarily took a hit to their bottom line to hurt Intel. I said Intel took the hit to hurt AMD.

AMD is the underdog, but it's fast gaining market share... since there's only 2 players, whatever 1 gains, the other loses. This is part of the reason why Intel's bottom line is 30% smaller than it was 2 years ago. That and the price war.

Right now is a pretty important time for both of them. China's market is going to be vast, and the average Chinese household does not have their own computer, they mostly use internet cafe's. But those internet cafe's are THE place to go in China for all ages. The computing age is only starting there, something we forget because every household here has 3 pc's.

Owning personal PC's nationwide there is coming, as their economy grows, and this market will be split between Intel and AMD... there's no one else in the playing field.

Odds are good it's not the high end quads or even dual core market that will be fought over, but the cheaper low end systems that are most popular in the US for around $500 or even less. That market is potentially vast, and no pc maker can ignore it... and it's all about price. AMD's biggest market share is the lower cost computers.

I think that's why AMD wants to invest in their capacity now, and why Intel doesn't want them to be able to.

HOW is Intel hurting their own bottom line? Well, do you think the demand for PC's has dried up over the last 2 years? It hasn't.

So why don't you tell me why Intel's 30% down on their bottom line if not through aggressive price cutting to beat AMD and loss of market share? Is there another reason I overlooked?

#14     Apr 21, 2007
  5. Oh, in that case I read it wrong.

INTC was very effective in doing what it wanted to then.

#15     Apr 21, 2007
  6. hels02

hels02

Well, no, it hasn't been... because AMD did in fact take that market share from them, and depending on AMD's ability to finance their way out of the hole they are in, will continue to do so, as the developing and emerging nations computerize.

I don't have inside info on AMD, but if I were them, I'd do what they did, stick their necks out NOW to do what it takes to increase capacity, knowing what's coming down the pike, and how much a lead Intel has in capacity. Damned the cost. Beg borrow and steal to do what it takes to increase their capacity. They have a hellava innovation team, but they have not been able to keep up with production demand very well and they need those new chip plants.

If I were Intel, I'd do what they're doing... everything they can to beat AMD into the ground now, before they can mobilize for better production. I'd take whatever hit it took to take AMD down financially, call in every favor, to deny AMD the cash to build.

I don't know how either company sees it internally, but the outcome will be interesting.

#16     Apr 21, 2007
  7. i just got my first AMD machine from Dell... i like it.

dual core 3800

just an opinion.

#17     Apr 21, 2007
  8. ifinitis

ifinitis

#18     Apr 22, 2007
  9. There is no relationship between purchase price of an acquisition and operating losses. One hits the balance sheet and the other hits the income statement. If it was an asset sale they will have some depreciation expense on the income statement, but it will amount to a small amount of the 400 million, and if it was a stock sale they get no additional depreciation expense based on the acquisition price. Depreciation continues at the same rate it was for the acquired company. They can write off goodwill which would also be a small amount in relation to the 400 million.

#19     Apr 22, 2007
  10. hels02

hels02

#20     Apr 22, 2007