AMD is it playable at this level?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by lowhangingfruit, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Praising for monopoly; Intel had done some very sinister things back then; threating their own suppliers; etc... and discredit AMD's designs on 64bit; then later; it has to adapt within its own design; Anyway; AMD is falling again on its flawed (TLB bug) "quad-core" processors.

AMD will have to stay low for the rest of year. Luckly; Intel wouldn't have much room to grow either; the entire semi-sector is weak.

#11     Mar 29, 2008
  2. With all its faults and benefits what will be the play on this stock over the short term. It looks to me that its on its way to making a new low. Yet I don't see how the FTC would allow INT so be the sole supplier of chips to the world. Is there a white knight on the horizon for them?

#12     Mar 30, 2008
  3. The sovereign wealth fund of china should buy this company and solve our problems. :D A china run AMD would kick ass... ROcket this stock to $65 within the year!

#13     Mar 30, 2008
  4. Chagi

Chagi

AMD is now launching chips based on B3 stepping that have fixed the TLB issue:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3272

#14     Mar 30, 2008
  5. i havent seen any good releases out of amd lately

intel core2duo destroyed amd

amd's acquistion of ati was lackluster at best, nvdia still dominating with their 8xxx and 9xxx graphic cards.

Integration of ati and amd into an all-in-one solution is progressing slowly and without much fanfair. The potential is huge, i dont understand why amd is not pursing this much more aggressively. Right now the only all-in-one chips use the intel graphic accelerator which cant handle any of today's 3d apps/games.

#15     Mar 30, 2008
  6. zdreg

zdreg

"AMD had a massive technological advantage over Intel. If they had the cash and the ability to aggressively market their chips, they would have been able to send Intel falling. But they didn't."

what ever happened to the old business theorem build a better mouse trap and people will beat a path to your door. AMD is not exactly an unknown.
    could someone add to this story?

thx.

#16     Mar 30, 2008
  7. There were a number of reasons. First of all, as another poster pointed out, Intel did do some predatory practices. They did threaten their suppliers to not sell AMD components. They also slashed the prices on their chips to below cost because they knew AMD wouldn't be able to compete at those price levels due to the continous cash problems AMD has had throughout its life.

Secondly, Intel was great at marketing. Intel would market how *fast* their processors were. How many of you went to the store and looked at Intel's cpu clock speeds at "4Mhz" vs. AMD's "2Mhz" and thought...well the Intel chip must be faster? The truth is that for the layperson who doesn't understand digital design, they would have jumped all over the faster chips. The fact of the matter is that this was a complete scam by Intel. Those who know how digital systems work knew that because AMD had much shorter pipelines in their design, their chips didn't need to smoke the house to achieve the same performance. But Intel drove this "CPU speed" down people's throats while AMD tried to educate the public on why clock speeds didn't matter. Kind of hard to do when 99% of all people have never taken a digital systems class in their life and I wouldn't expect them to understand it without the background.

But let's not fully blame Intel here. AMD was its own worst enemy. Why couldn't they get massive investment when they clearly were ahead of Intel? Where was their management in fixing their cash flow problems.

Secondly, AMD has been synonomous with poor quality. Their quality control has been horrible and they've always had problem with defects. Where was management and their process control in trying to weed out these problems?

so, in essence, Intel and AMD both effectively and equally were responsible for AMD not being able to overtake Intel while all along, the poor AMD engineers designed a superior piece of technology.

#17     Mar 30, 2008
  8. pipboy

pipboy

I would stay away at this point. Look at storage.

#18     Mar 30, 2008
  9. teun

teun

You would say AMD is a takeover candidate at these levels.

However, will their x86 license with INTC still be valid after a takeover?

#19     Mar 30, 2008