AMD Drivers Stops Responding & Recovering Back in Win -8

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cj8, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cj8

cj8

Hi,

I have a multi monitor Dell workstation T - 7500 with AMD FirePro 2460 Video Cards for multi monitors & the setup has worked flawlessly with Windows - 7 ( 64 bit ).

I now installed Windows -8 ( Pro ) 64 bit few times & new AMD Drivers for it from AMD Site but the darn thing keeps giving me following message with black screens few times an hour.

" Display driver stopped responding & has recovered "

I tried everything possible including installing several versions of the drivers starting from August 2012 for Win -8.

Any random number of screens suddenly go black & come back pretty quickly & happens randomly several times an hour.

My concern is :

(1) Could it hurt the Video Cards which are over $330.00 a piece.

(2) Could it hurt the data on hard drive ?

(3) Would it change actual live feed, may be missing few ticks or more ?

(4) Any suggestions & has anyone else experienced similar problem with Windows -8 & AMD Cards OR other Cards ?

I can use all the help.

Thanks

2. Mr_You

Mr_You

(1) No.
    (2) No if the machine is not actually freezing or rebooting suddenly.
    (3) Doubtful, appears to be video only issue.

Suggestions (in this order):

- Make sure you're running the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
    - Google search for similar video card, driver, and OS and see if anyone else has found a solution.

3. I don't know much about windows 8, but I can say from experience that when I tried to run AMD video card drivers with ubuntu 11 and dual-monitors, there were major headache/debug compatibility issues (like watermarking and blackouts) with OS compatibility for 2nd monitor. Your description reminds me a little bit of that experience.

some examples have been documented in ubuntu forums...
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/2065...-testing-use-only-watermark-from-ubuntu-12-10

4. I have seen the odd problem that occurred on AMD processor and not on Intel.