amd ati merger

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by fartonmyear, Jul 24, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

Reading papers would be the first part of my research as it should be everyones. Actually using one and seeing the difference would be real research, which I have done at trade shows. The speed ups are and smoothness of simulations using PGCs are undeniable, and that research was with my own two eyes .

And that is without the fact that I understand the mathematics and the obvious accelerations that are clearly possible. We may yet see characters in games wearing normal fitting clothing with realistic effects of wind and movement on the clothing, instead of tight to the skin clothing that looks painted on...

I can't take you by the hand at every step. Read your statement again, think about what happens when one company buys another, and then rethink what you just said.

nitro

#11     Jul 25, 2006
  2. nitro

nitro

"07:24 INTC Commentary: AMD hookup with ATI puts pressure on Intel - Digitimes (17.48 )

Digitimes reports according to sources at Taiwan PC makers, the AMD purchase of ATI placed more pressure on Intel in the two companies' ongoing battle in the PC market. The purchase of ATI (ATYT) by AMD will have a similar effect that Nvidia's purchase of ULi Electronics had on ATI. At the time Nvidia was looking into purchasing ULi, ATI was partnering with the Taiwan-based chipset maker on southbridge production to support ATI's northbridge. Now, Intel is the market player dependent on ATI's graphics for its high-end PC solutions, as Nvidia (NVDA) is not fully supporting Intel. With AMD purchasing ATI, Intel is expected to lose out in the short-term as there should be some disruption in its dealings with ATI for CrossFire support on the Intel gaming platform. The purchase also increased the importance of Nvidia, which has been a strong partner for AMD in the past. Intel will need to quickly develop its in-house graphics or move to strengthen its ties with Nvidia, or else AMD may be able to grow its market share to 30%."

nitro

#12     Jul 25, 2006
  3. Run PhysX demos with software rendering only you get virtually the same FPS; Ageia lied to us.... Not sure what you saw with your own two eyes, but you were duped. The only simulation proven by enthusiasts worth their salt, to demonstrate any useful PhysX power, is the cloth simulation; hardly worth the cost of the discrete card. Not sure about you, but i'm not spending $200+ to see cloth blow nicely in a virtual wind. PhysX is getting a seriously bad name by those in the know.... Sounds like a great idea, and it is, but this infant technology is not the future, but rather just a hint at it. Microsoft is developing a physics API which will likely dictate the future [think DirectX for graphics and DirectSound for audio]

Other than that I agree, and believe the merger is smart and find it humorous that so many on this board are quick to opine when they have no clue about the nature of the transaction, or more importantly about the technologies involved. Once again, it just proves to me how ego-charged this site and its patrons are. Again, I question my reason for even being here- insert suggestion to leave then. That tangent aside, I do not believe the acqusition has much to do with physics acceleration at all, but rather mostly for integrated chipset solutions as well as ATi's breadth in the cellular/similar markets. This will make AMD a much more well-rounded company (diversification).

Also, as an aside, ATi will now have access to AMD's fab plants, making ATi much more efficient and capable of keeping costs down, and fighting better against nVIDIA.

#13     Jul 25, 2006
  4. ginux

ginux

90% of the consumers DO NOT need immense graphics capabilities in their Comp. Only gamers need them. I still don't see the rationale of this merger. This just smells of Hp-compaq all over again. AMD should have bought over some company with unique chip technologies for the server market, such as the Sun Niagara technology. Focus on the server first.

#14     Jul 25, 2006
  5. Once more, I will reiterate the fact that this is much less about discrete graphics technologies. Ati makes chipsets too folks! For the first time ever, this year they are releasing competitive chipsets! This is something AMD needs since Intel has it's own internal chipsets. Discrete graphics/physics are of ancillary but REAL benefit. Also, one cannot ignore the presence of ATi in the cellular markets.

#15     Jul 25, 2006
  6. nitro

nitro

"I don't see why a consumer would ever need a computer" - Head of IBM

nitro

#16     Jul 25, 2006
  7. ozzy

ozzy

Good move for ATI not so good for AMD ýn my opinion. I use to work at ATI as a company ýt sucked ''BIG TIME''.

#17     Jul 25, 2006
  8. Chagi

Chagi

Up until now, this has been correct, but it looks like Vista is going to change that concept. From what I've been reading, it's going to be a real hardware pig, and 3D acceleration will be an important part of daily use of the OS (though I suspect that many will just turn this functionality off initially).

#18     Jul 25, 2006
  9. what a nice jump for ati. up 25%

#19     Jul 25, 2006
  10. nitro

nitro

"08:56 ATYT ATI Tech: According to Inquirer.net, rumor reckons Intel launching hostile ATYT bid (19.71 )

Inquire.net columnist notes "Fidelity.com runs a rum rumor to the effect that Intel (INTC) could bid $23 for ATYT to woo it away from an AMD takeover... ATYT's board agreed unanimously to recommend AMD's bid with an offer per share of $20.47 totalling $5.4 billion. AMD has to borrow money to complete the acquisition, which is subject to shareholder approval. Mind you, Intel is the leader in the graphics market. Would the fact that only Nvidia (NVDA) and S3 be left interest the antitrust authorities?""

nitro

#20     Jul 26, 2006