AMD 64bit Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by limitdown, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Limitdown....you turned me onto the 64bit concept..E machine version when you started the thread ...I needed a laptop and bought one the next day.....been running it 24/7 since...for me its great...best running computer I have had....never a hangup.....no software gliches...the 512 memory ample for trading and a ridiculous number of windows open, will you notice or need the extra speed of the $3000 version? I have no idea..........will it hold up for years and years?...I don't know....i tend to spend less than 2 years on a computer before adding to my antique auxillary "collection".

I will mention that this is my first laptop, so I cannot comment on the "ergonomics" of the keyboard, etc......

If you buy it and hate it don't come after me.......I bought it on your recommendation!!

#41     Mar 5, 2004
  2. shyhh

shyhh

Which is a better system for trading application?

Most review states AMD is stronger in business benchmark while Intel is better Content Creation. Does the business benchmark include trading applications?

#42     Mar 5, 2004
  3. The only true way to know is to run a speed test on YOUR applications.

Im seriously considering putting my backtesting software
    on a USB memory key with some data and walking into a
    store with it, then running tests on all the fastest machines :D

peace

axeman

#43     Mar 5, 2004
  4. wow, good for you.

so did I ,

couldn't get the M6807 with the DVD/RW, had to settle for the M6805 with the DVD/ROM/CDRW, all else the same.

Had a long talk with the tech support line, they're outsourced and leased back to the company, knowing their products. They only have about 128 employees in total. The CEO of eMachines, after being taken over by Gateway, took over Gateway, as that CEO resigned after seeing how profitable and lean a machine eMachines ran as a company.

Anyways, you can't upgrade to WinXP Pro because the ATI Radeon 9600 Mobile has a custom driver that was tweaked just for the AMD64 chip, on their machine.

Some tried to change from XP Home to XP Pro and had these problems.

I couldn't upgrade to the DVD/RW, which machine model did you get?, and whom did you get it through?

Circuit City offers it on their website with $200 combined rebate, however, its out of stock in their warehouse and in all their stores. They still stock and offer the M6805 with $100 mfgr rebate. WOW.

All that processing power and ability in a NOW package and with rebates to lower the overall costs.

VoodooPC, HyperionPC and the others, eat your heats out!

#44     Mar 10, 2004
  5. so, which beats which?

the AMD 64bit or the Intel P4 w/HT?

#45     Mar 28, 2004
  6. EMachines was bought out by Gateway and the awesome 64bit laptops have not resurfaced yet.

CPQ and HP are offering the Athlon64 configurations....

Some of the box wholesalers are offering $100 rebates on these custom configured machines....

#46     Apr 26, 2004