Amazon takes early lead as union vote count gets underway

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

2. VicBee

VicBee

I'd shut the warehouse down if the union wins.

3. Fain

Fain

Unions will be good for the workers. Amazon pays shit wages.

4. ET180

ET180

Then they would have to rely more on shippers which are already unionized. Regardless of the outcome, they will pursue automation to reduce human labor costs as much as possible (as they should). Unionization would only speed up the process.

5. destriero

destriero

Union lost. AMZN told the employees they would not be given any more OT if they voted to unionize. Avg worker is 31yo with HS education. They can't buy smartphones with health insurance and other bennies. It's just that simple.

6. VicBee

VicBee

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Amazon offers the best starting wages and medical insurance package in the warehouse industry.

ET180 and ajacobson like this.
  7. Another plus about Amazon is if you want a job they will hire you - no employment references required.

8. VicBee

VicBee

People sometimes ask me why as an avowed liberal can I be against unions. Clearly those people haven't experienced union labor as I did for a dozen years managing training programs for labor. But aside from personal experience, it's easy to debunk the union as progressive entities. They are in fact the exact opposite, valuing conservative values by protecting a special interest group over all others. It is no coincidence that until the 70s union chapters where homogeneous groups. First Irish, then Polish and Italians until finally including Blacks and Latinos. Even then, Blacks had to create their own chapters to be recognized by the union in some instances. In any case, it makes total sense to me that many union members were pro Trump, much like labor was pro Nazi in the late 1920s Germany.
    Fundamentally, it is the government's job to create laws and rules to encourage businesses and protect workers and for the courts to enforce these. Unions are like thugs in to shakedown businesses by forcing extra rules and costs under cover of fighting for the workers. There is no place in modern democracies for these parallel organizations when politicians are properly elected to represent the People, just like there is no place for militias to supplement our military forces. They are symptoms of broken down institutions.