Amazon AWS vs VPS: MetaTrader 4

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Ridu, Sep 16, 2012.

1. promagma

promagma

Amazon AWS is very reliable, but in the past has had some downtime - nothing is perfect. In my experience with AWS you are pinging from Virginia, around 10-20ms to NY.

A good VPS can get you better pings and be as reliable, or even more reliable, than AWS. On the other hand, a bad VPS provider can give you nothing but headaches.

PM me if you want more info on my experience with specific VPS's for trading.

#11     Sep 17, 2012
  2. Ridu

Ridu

Thanks for the replies, please can anyone recommend a reliable, quick, secure VPS with close proximity to New Jersey, US?

I checked out Go Daddy, Myhosting, both of which have their pros and cons, there's a tonne on the internet but not sure how valid the reviews are. Very grateful for any recommendations of where to try next.

PS Thanks Promagma have just sent you a PM.

#12     Sep 17, 2012
  3. If you need to go to that extreme to make money on non HFT trading then it's sounds to me like your trading strategy is not very good and you're relying on milliseconds to try and make up the for the performance shortfall. That might work for another 12 months but eventually everyone else will catch up and eat you. A fast connection is no replacement for a quality trading algo.

Runningbear

#13     Sep 17, 2012
  4. When you say low latency what is your frame of reference. Using a hypervisor and virtualization in general is always going to be slower than running on bare metal, that said I have no idea where you are submitting orders from so "low latency" is a relative term.

The Amazon server farm on the east coast is in Virginia and you should expect well over 10ms of latency coming out of Amazon in VA to an exchange or broker's execution engine. I'd guess in the 50-75ms range, but it all depends.

#14     Sep 17, 2012

5. Are you a little simple? I mean like bad in school etc.?

This is not about MAKING money, it is about not loosing it under rare circumstances. Like the flash crash, where the whole market disappearded in milliseconds. You really then had fun in the YM futures contract, withtrades jumping 150 ticks.

Plus, IF you colocate or host, then only people with little problems in math (i.e. the people that fail to easily understand 1+1=2) would go for an inferior product for a higher price.

Amazon is expensive. Seriously expensive. And it is slow, given that it simply is on the wrong place. So why not get something that is - guess it - CLOSE and CHEAPER, when you ahve to spend money anyway?

#15     Sep 18, 2012
  6. Maybe you should re-read the posts on this thread. I never endorsed Amazon as a hosting solution. You're making out like you're some kind of expert on this subject and you claim to be using TT yet you didn't even know TT run their own data servers. Do you even trade. Or are you just sitting in your bedroom at your mums house dreaming of becoming a HFT big gun. I've traded through every crash since the 98 currency crisis. The 2000 tech bust. The Argentinian currency default. September 11. The London and Spanish bombings. And the 2008 credit crisis. The flash crash didn't occur in milliseconds. You can't clean the book out in milliseconds. There are to many standing orders in the market. It occurred over minutes. You have no idea son.

#16     Sep 18, 2012
  7. Obviously, having your orders being placed on a Chicago server is better. However, once the order is place and you have a stop and target, I think the stop and target are on the CME exchange itself for futures, and these orders are executed on first come bases.

In a slow market, you can actually watch the DOM, and see all the limit orders being filled before price can move up to the next tick.

#17     Sep 18, 2012
  8. That is only if you are using TT NET for your data. Most TT users only use the software and provide their own data solution in conjunction with their clearing firm.

Here are all the ways you can connect to the CME http://www.cmegroup.com/globex/files/connectivityoptions.pdf

For example, 1 cabinet in Aurora would utilize 1 Glink connection. Since I don't expect many ET users are filling a whole cabinet themselves most who collocate rent a number of racks from their clearing firm. This cost is not just for rack space but for a share in the cost of the Glink fee for the cabinet along with the obvious markup from your clearing firm for the service they are providing you.

#18     Sep 18, 2012
  9. By the way Runningbear, you come of as a giant bitter douche.

Cheers

ps

There is no need to go Ghetto on ET

#19     Sep 18, 2012
  10. You're absolutely right FroggerMan. However it does get annoying when you post a practical suggestion to help the original poster and someone jumps in and has to turn it into a personal attack that has nothing to do with the discussion. So in this very rare instance, my intention was to patronizing.

#20     Sep 18, 2012
    PennySnatch likes this.