Amazing!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nitro, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Larson

Larson Guest

Lol.

#51     Aug 24, 2011
  2. Bowgett

Bowgett

Goldman Sachs employees evacuate after earthquake:

[​IMG]

• gs.jpg
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
    #52     Aug 24, 2011
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The reaction of those on the east coast to this, is no different than the reaction to Texans on the extremely rare occasions they get a winter storm.

#53     Aug 24, 2011
  4. nitro

nitro

5. nitro

nitro

#55     Oct 23, 2011
  6. gmst

gmst

one look at the chart you posted nitro and its clear that its not random at all. Look at the number of years in last 10 years which have been above 2sd or 3sd.......This is definitely not a tail of normal distribution. Looks more like volatility sticking together ....hahaha

More important thing is - in the last 100 years history doesnot mean that earth might be going through a geological phase (lets assume it lasts through next 5000 years), when magnitude 8 and 10 will be localized mean of the earthquake distribution.

My point is just looking at last 100 years or reading scriptures for last 5000 years doesn't imply anything about the long run earthquake frequency and magnitude on Earth - in different cycles. Who knows - the extinction of dynos might have been caused by a geological period lasting over 5000 years say, when earthquakes occuring between 8 and 10 were common on EArth.

#56     Oct 23, 2011
  7. nitro

nitro

Well, what is interesting is that many recent EQs lay on approximately the same latitude. Look at Japan, Virginia, and now Turkey. The pattern is probably far more subtle, if there is even one...

I don't know anything about this kind of science, but statistics seems like a natural thing to do...

#57     Oct 23, 2011
  8. As long as the New Madrid fault does not slip, we will be okay. If it does, goodnight to Memphis and St.Louis, and all major transport in this nation will be disrupted/destroyed. Pray that New Madrid does not slip.

#58     Oct 23, 2011
  9. jprad

jprad

Well, it really depends on where you live.

Someone on the west coast is considerably more aware of the San Andreas fault than the New Madrid and someone on the east coast should be more concerned with Cumbre Vieja causing a mega tsunami (depending on if you think that particular scenario is bullshit or not...)

Then again, there's always the Yellowstone super caldera which would pretty much screw everyone equally.

IMHO, with a decent 90 year run on this ball of mud I'm operating under the assumption that my, relatively speaking, microscopically small window of time doesn't overlap any of those things happening.

#59     Oct 23, 2011
  10. nitro

nitro

#60     Nov 6, 2011