Amaranth's Brian Hunter to launch new Hedge Fund

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Mar 13, 2007.

1. i can't tell you how many "smart" traders i met who are too afraid to lose, and well oftentimes, don't get anywhere if fear loss. this guy has peered into the abyss.

there are plenty of smart shrewd traders at the status quo. some investors are not really interested in that.

#51     Apr 2, 2007

2. You are joking!

I can't belive it. How sure are you of this?

#52     Apr 2, 2007
  3. Certain. I witnessed the check being cut.

#53     Apr 2, 2007
  4. I'd be happy to blow out 6 billion for 1/20th of what Hunter got paid to do it.

But I'd feel to embarrassed to show my face again afterwards.

#54     Apr 2, 2007
  5. Simply Incredible!

What do these FoFs base their investment decisions on? $200M for such a horrible track record and with such evidence of non-existent risk management.

I'm a strong believer in 2nd, 3rd & 4th chances. God knows Ive received them myself...but I can't explain the love-fest with Amaranth. People aren't even dipping their toes, they're diving straight in!

Simply Incredible!

#55     Apr 2, 2007
  6. As I said before, it is just like the CEO/CFO arena. There are no shortages of companies willing to hire individuals that have the innate ability to run companies into the ground. But unlike hedge fund blow ups, these guys even get a nice check on the way out.

Watch the Circuit City CEO who is now ready to run the company into a hole. When he leaves/"resigns", he will get another lucrative offer.

You're either in the club, or you are not.

#56     Apr 2, 2007
  7. anarcho

anarcho

Probably the fact that he made One Billion Dollars in one year. Not an easy thing to do.

He didn't bust Deutsche .. He (him and the people he traded with) lost $52 million in a month but still finished the year up over $20 million.

#57     Apr 2, 2007
  8. You guys are acting like this guy was some sleezy poker gambler who got lucky and lost it all, Brain is insanely talented, yes he mad a few mistakes along the way, but he has made millions in his career and will continue to do so.

The fact that he's made more money at his age than most people in this world will ever be able to do in 5 generations is an incredible feet, cut the guy some slack. Investors are willing to give him another shot so obviously he has to be doing something right.

#58     Apr 2, 2007
  9. He may have some incredible feet, don't know. It's the nature of the biz, lose 60mm at Deutsche and get picked up by an equity fund, go figure. Gamble on the weather and make a billion. Parlay that into a 6b loser.

I've never associated intellect with natgas trading, that's a new one. I'll agree he should be able to manage whatever the market for his "talent" will bear.

#60     Apr 2, 2007