Am looking for a simple strategy for trading the Dow Jones

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Dave2, May 27, 2005.

1. astrikos.com and sentiment trader.is what i have followed for timing. I think it is more in timing and following what the big boys do. If you pm i will tell you some of the strategies i use and believe me they are not hard. I do it with my retirement funds and spiders so maybe not for you i do not fool around with stocks my time is spent with futures. Also like when American Century Tips moved up about 11% percent in three months i follow what TraderVic follows after any type of fixed income goes 10% it is time to get out. Also when my mutual funds move up near 18% in the fourth quarter i get out. His theory on the market is advancement of 20% intermediate time to get out.

#21     May 29, 2005
  2. Dave2

Dave2

Sweetlettuce,

I havn't backested the MA's. If I decided to use a system that utilises MA combos I feel I will have to add a combination of other indicators as entry/exit confirmers (eg stockastics, momentum, RSI etc.). For certain I would use MA's for help in identifying the trend.

ElecticSsavant, I'm not sure what you mean by trading 'one component a day, don't know whether I have made myself clear about the DJ, appologies if not. I am after trading the index not individual stocks. Having said that if your strategies apply to trading the DJ index I will email you. Regarding my trading style, I would like to trade and possibly make upto 20 pips/day but would gladly settle for 10 whether this be day trading (ie 2hours from 7-9 pm GMT trading the DJ) or position trading using a longer time frame (eg 1,2 4 hr) At least with a 4hr time frame I would only have to check the chart one per day, (eg first thing in the morning or last thing at night) to make sure things where going my way and to re-adjust stops if necessary.

EliteThink, I came across the 'dogs of the day' strategy only yesterday, on browsing through the contents sound interesting. I agree with ElectricSavant, low in labor, also good returns.

Having said all this I am currently watching the Dow bounce of the 61.8 fib level (already 5 times, strong support) forming a perfect M pattern possible looking to break through. I digress.

#22     May 30, 2005
  3. Just make sure you use a long term trend filter so you are not long in an obviously down market. A 20/200 ma filter works just fine.

#23     May 30, 2005
  4. Dave2

Dave2

Yes, that makes a lot of sense EliteThinker. BTW if anyone hasn't spotted it yet in my previous post, I mentioned I was observing the DOW :eek: my mistake it was CABLE. Now you can see I am in desparate need of advice :D

#24     May 30, 2005
  5. Dear Dave,

I believe something's flowing in the air here but people are beating around the bush rather than tell you bluntly. I shalt do the honors.

Chances are... noone will share any kind (simple or not) of a profitable strategy with you on ET. Many many have tried to ask something like you have asked and to date I haven't seen a "here's my strategy" answer. Why? Because people have worked to discover their strategies for years and don't feel like sharing them with a stranger. That's the hard truth, my friend :) There's a significant amount of method sharing on moneytec. ETers say that moneytec is full of newbies and so on but at least there's open sharing there and you can glean useful ideas from there. Not here buddy, not here.

#25     May 30, 2005
  6. Yooo you you mean.......that ET is not my genie in the bottle? I want an ATM machine in my living room....I'm rubbing real hard...

If you want total unadulterated sharing....see my Journal here:

:)

#26     May 30, 2005
  7. Dave2

Dave2

Hi Sunny,

Sorry for the delay in replying, been on vacation :) I can see several strategies posted on this forum already. Every cloud has a silver linning :D

#27     Jun 4, 2005
  8. "Am looking for a simple strategy for trading the Dow Jones."

Look and study the DOW only. Don't enter any trades; this a a 'guaranteed no loss' strategy .. simple too.

:)

#28     Jun 4, 2005
  9. Dave2

Dave2

Hi champion,

I can understand where you're comming from in terms of studying the Dow (ie observing patterns, get the feel for the market) but don't trade :confused: Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Think I'll smile :)

#29     Jun 4, 2005
  10. twalker

twalker

I have read this thread this evening. I think it is correct assumption that people who are confident and making money with a strategy will not share it. A lot of strategies that get posted to bulletin boards are by people who have a workable idea but not the balls or capital to trade it for themselves or would prefer to use it to promote a sale of something else , a subscription service of some sort or to attract people to their own self interest website. The old axiom of you don't get anything for nothing applies more here than anywhere else.
    I would not post what makes me my living, not in a million years unless I thought I could sell it for more than I make using it, which is always a possibility.
    One thing I have found is that most of the things that work are fundamentally simple. Generally the most complex part of any system I have is the sizing algorithm.
    The only thing I have ever found MA's or other lagging indicators useful for is as attenuators for system that get their long/short signals from other factors such as breakouts. They do not work as primary indicators.
    Once you have a system that displays any sort of consistent positive expectancy, the best way to improve it is through money management i.e. sizing NOT by trying to change the rules or adding more rules.

Good Trading

#30     Jun 5, 2005