Am I wasting time learning Visual Basic?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mbay, Oct 29, 2006.

1. H2O

H2O

I'm not underestimating anything...
    I'm willing to invest time into something that may help me out in my career.

I am a full time trader, and up until now, have always been working with EXCEL, and used services of programmers we had in house. (Unfortunately I cannot use them anymore)

SO now I have the option to either outsource the programming (and with it, part of my trading strategy) or invest in learning how to program myself.

I prefer learning to program as that may be the best solution in the long run, however I'm confused as to which language to use (see previous post) At the moment I'm leaning towards c#

#41     Nov 21, 2006
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Very well said.

I said it before, if you think that you can single handed create a winning fully automatic system, you are in for a surprise. Why do you think large institutional traders/investors employ huge IT departments for trading purposes.

It is s nice dream to have a round the clock ATM, but it is a dream, and the sooner most wake up the better.

Regards,
    redduke

#42     Nov 21, 2006
  3. H2O

H2O

I'm not looking to create a black box, I'm looking to automate PART of my trading.

I'm trading some strategies that involve processing a lot of information and EXCEL has it limitations, especially in fast markets. (SLOW / Hickups)

The software will not even have to execute any trades as I can do that myself. I will just be alerted to options that I may miss by not using any form of automation.

So again... language???

#43     Nov 21, 2006
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Then it is really easy. Go with either Tradestation, E-signal or CQG. Their languages are very similar with a lot of prebuilt functionality.

#44     Nov 21, 2006
  5. H2O

H2O

Tradestation/eSignal: don't use it and don't want to either. (Used both when I was trading retail, ok, but past that stadium now)
    CQG: good charting software, but definately not to be used for what I have in mind.

I get my data either directly from the exchanges (com object) or via one of the available front end solutions available (probably the easiest solution to start with)
    You always want to work with a direct feed, and quote vendors (including CQG) do NOT get the same quality quotes as front end devellopers do (Like TT, Eccoware and RTS)

At the moment I'm using Ecco (for the last 2 years) and I can use their API to get the data. I'm not looking for any technical analysis, I'm looking at quotes only and I want to write software that can do my analysis for me in stead of using EXCEL which is sometimes slow.

#45     Nov 21, 2006
  6. One nice thing about Python is its text manipulation, much easier than, say, Java's.

#46     Nov 21, 2006
  7. spinner

spinner

Okay, I'm virtually convinced that I should use Easy Language on TradeStation, since I'm just looking for the fastest way to more efficient trading/testing.

One question: Has anyone tried out NinjaTrader's Market Strategy which is newly available in the Beta version of NT6? I believe Ninja has their own proprietary programming language.

#47     Nov 21, 2006
  8. Sooner or later you might run into limitations. Studying VB6 or VB.NET in your spare time would be well worth the investment.
    You can always apply what you learn to any other programming language.

Richard

#48     Dec 3, 2006