Am I wasting time learning Visual Basic?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mbay, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mbay

mbay

I figure six months and I should be able to handle Visual Basic or am I wasting time?

2. It really depends on what your goals are don't you think?

Are you talking .net or just VB? ... because if it's the latter then the answer to your question is probably yes.

3. mbay

mbay

Just VB, excel VB, and my goal is to develop my own system for myself, but then I see these back testing software packages available, and they have their own languages integrated, and I can see similarities.

I was also considering applying for a junior FE position but they want python programmers and they require VB proficiency.

I figure I learn VB at least, because it seems to be a general requirement.

By the way, isn't python a web development language (like ruby or php)?

4. mbay

mbay

What if i go the route of backtesting software for strategies, which would be better:
    - ami broker
    - wealth labs
    - tradestation
    - traderstudio
    - did I miss one?

I am thinking of going for ami-broker just because its the cheapest and I am sort of on a cash flow tight, but I obviously would like to work with the best one overall, but it seems like each year there is a new king.

Now, I am thinking I should learn VB first before I invest in a backtesting software with the capability to help execute my own trades.

So many options, any advice please ...

5. hi,

as far as trade execution goes, it might take u sometime to get hang of VB and windows API etc. but other than that, I totally recommend learning VBA. for the retail packages u might have to learn a whole new language for something that can be limited at times, however once u learn one language learning those (e.g. easylanguage etc.) is not that difficult.

I haven't used tradestation or tradestudio, but wealthlab is pretty powerful. in anycase I prefer something not based on a new language - so that u're not limited with ur skills only on that platform. there are other applications that have .net environments and are very user friendly. For example, if you do learn VB you can use it in applications such as:

Need for Trade Studio
    www.needfortrade.com

RightEdge
    www.rightedgesystems.com

So that's another option. find something you're comfortable with and need. But don't be scared of learning programming languages such as VB or Python.

6. bidask

bidask

you are not wasting time. don't let anyone tell you visual basic can only do "basic" things or isn't powerful enough. that's all baloney.

7. mbay

mbay

OK, Visual Basic it is, I am going to go look for a VB Financial Engineering Book to check out. Thanks everyone.

8. Well wait a minute. VB or VB.net may be more than you need. Look in to VBS (Visual basic script). If your looking to make programs to solve simple calculations, or a program to help with routine system tasks that you get tired of doing...vbs may be better. VBS is used alot my network admins......and virus writers, because of its connection with the WSH (Windows script host).

VBS are really batch files upgraded to the next level.

if your interested, look at

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win..._bbs_sr_3/002-2022079-6230447?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-XP-Un..._bbs_sr_1/002-2022079-6230447?ie=UTF8&s=books this is the one I have.

Also, if your thinking about getting into 'nix (unix/ linix) then learn perl. :)

Hope this helps.

cm69

9. bidask

bidask

the quickest and most direct way to learn programming as it relates to trading is to find online tutorials. if you buy financial engineering programming books you will find that they don't teach what you want to learn. most of those types of books teach you how to write a program that price derivatives (e.g., black-scholes for options). besides, if you don't know anything about programming or financial theories at all, you are biting off more than you can chew.

here's a beginner's Excel VBA tutorial as it relates to trading.

http://traderanalyst.jamroll.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3

if you want to get a beginner's visual basic book, find the simplest one available. read a chapter or two and make sure you can understand it easily. don't buy the thickest one thinking it will teach you the most. there are books written for the absolute beginner and books written for people who already know a different language. if you get the latter you will be very frustrated.

10. #10     Oct 29, 2006