Am I poor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aquarians, Jul 21, 2018.

1. I think of myself as poor although by income I'm solid middle class in Eastern Europe.

Problem's I don't have enough savings to risk-free quit my job and work (on my own payroll) for a full year (at least) on my finance / fin-tech side business. Will take a few more years to get there.

On the other hand, 60% of Americans don't have $1000 if you ask them - speak of selling my (semi) professional software to "rich" customers :p

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/few-americans-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

So I dunno, am I poor or what?

2. fan27

fan27

A majority of well paid Americans could not quit their jobs for a year and live off of savings. Could you quit your job and live off of savings for three or six months? It is amazing how much you can get done when you don't have meetings and all the other hoops to jump through that is part of working a full time job. Also, if your project can get momentum it will be easier to attract talent and/or capital to help fund the effort.

bullmarket79 likes this.
  3. I'm in negotiations at the moment with an American company (a very rich one) who's investigating my capabilities for risk free work. Which are way, way higher than I already told them and they seem to have liked what I said, which doesn't worry me but hurries me.

Shit I didn't think this thing will happen in at least the next 2 years (talk about me as being HFT). (IF) It happens TOMORROW, i have to make good of my promises which is a bit of a stretch but still doable.

So no hurry people, even if shit hits the fan, you're safe here.

fan27 likes this.
  4. How much can you? Not me, you. How long can you live outside the current benevolent economy where some "mi sento generoso" slave owner grants you the right to some weekends?

And if they don't, what can you do?

5. I live outside your counting system so at least I have a choice but you my friend, you're fried.

Cheers.

6. fan27

fan27

About two years.

7. deaddog

deaddog

To determine if you are rich you have to consider all the things that money cannot buy.

volente_00, PipMan77 and CSEtrader like this.
  8. PipMan77

PipMan77

Exactly! That's a solid point.
    You can't just measure your richness with your hard earned money but your talent or character. Every one of us have a gift, use it well.

CSEtrader likes this.
  9. There are like a funkton of programs here currently that hand over grants from EU structural funds, usually around €30,000 - 40,000. Another year of my own savings plus one of those grants and I'll have that free/full time (gotta hire two people to get them, so it would be me and an apprentice).

In the meantime I'm still looking for that lucky shot (profitable trading strategy).

10. Innocie

Innocie

You are the winner one out of billion sperms trying to reach here on earth. Yet, you're poor just because of this world's standard? NO! Live your winner life.

#10     Aug 2, 2018
    CSEtrader and PipMan77 like this.