Am I crazy or is FXCM crooked?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by cking74, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

AKA, price shading. Price markup is effectively price shading. Why is that the case? Well, if FXCM Prop receives an interbank quote and then adds a pip to both ends, they would have to do so on a delayed basis. First receive the quote, then mark it up. There's your delay. Sure, it's not the same as delaying quotes 5 seconds as some of the worse bucketshops do, even their retail division is suspected of doing. But if they perform their markup 1 sec or so behind the interbank, then that's enough time for them to profit or at least attempt to profit off the delayed spread. That's shading. It's either direct access or it's not. Anything that is not is shading. (Note: banks shade their prices to from time to time.)

But that doesn't sound like that is what they do. Here's why.

Say interbank BBO for EUR/USD is 1.2600/26015. To mark that up, FXCM Prop would have to quote you 1.2601/1.26025. Last time I checked against a Reuters terminal, this wasn't the case. They seemed to move in lock-step. Could that have changed in a year? Sure. Point is, I know that they receive kickbacks(AKA rebates) from the banks they use. Don't take my word for it, call them up and ask them. They don't seem to have any problem admitting it. In fact, they think of it as a selling point.

#41     Jul 31, 2006
  2. FXCM do have a 'spreader' so that they can adjust the prices coming onto their platform. That is how they make their profit. Indeed rather than receive a rebate from Currenex I should imagine they have to pay to use their software etc.

How anyone can deal with another arm of a firm that has already been proven to be unscrupulous in another area is beyond me.

#42     Jul 31, 2006
  3. Have a look at www.aarontrade.com
    Currenex. They go through ADM but
    require lower minimum.

minimum 25000$ like PropFX but
    only 30 $/million and no mark-up.
    Also 100:1 leverage.
    And very deep liquidity, best I have
    seen for Currenex so far.

#43     Jul 31, 2006
  4. Amen, Brother. :cool:

#44     Jul 31, 2006
  5. 168

:D

#45     Jul 31, 2006
  6. it seems to me that an industrious trader should be able to find a way to profit from these dealer's shenanigans....

:D :D

#46     Jul 31, 2006
  7. Question is whether they are doing the spike on individual customers accounts or do they have to fill everyone at that price?

You could bracket the market with buys below and sells above but it would only work if they guaranteed you a fill when the market spiked down.

Traveler

#47     Aug 1, 2006