Always winning

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Burtakus, May 5, 2005.

1. OK Nik:

I will take your comments to heart. I haven't noticed any lack of respect in my professional life. I do however notice that I have a short fuse. It is something that I am working on (although with varying success). In my previous life I was involved in athletics. Unfortunately in that arena, especially if you are successful, people cut you a lot of slack. Too much I think. I will continue to work on my emotional control. Thanks.

Edit:

I am still interested in your explanation of how "cause and effect" applies here.

#21     May 5, 2005

2. Burtakus, sorry for the digression. I hope you get some more feedback on your problem.

out

#22     May 5, 2005
  3. John47

John47

yeah, and you can just go to fucking, austria, buddy!

[​IMG]

fun fact: "Bitte — nicht so schnell!" means "Please - not so fast"

I was gonna say something else, but I don't think anybody needs help with a joke here.

#23     May 5, 2005
  4. Hello:
    You know I was thinking a bit about TraderNik's comment and I thought I would add something here. My own comments come from my experience. I grew up with sports being the major thing in my life. At the professional level, you learn quick that there are other guys as big, as fast, as strong and as smart as you are. Unfortunately you also learn that mobilizing your anger is one way to get an edge. If you look across and the guy facing you wants to kick your ass, you basically have one choice if you want to stay in the game. So I think periodically I need to remind myself that it is no longer necessary to knock the living hell out of the guy across from me. I hope to do better in future.

Lefty.

#24     May 5, 2005
  5. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

when i get stressed i just put a cap in someones ass.

works every time.

if i dont have my saturday night sprecial, then i use a knife.

FUCKING COOOOLL :cool: :cool:

carrying a gun is the only REAL edge in life. just like trading though, you just gotta get the balls to pull the trigger before someother mutha fucka pulls the trigger on you.

#25     May 6, 2005
  6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

:D :D :D :D

lmfao

#26     May 6, 2005
  7. Always Winning?
    Always Winning = Never Losing

Trend Finding is Edge Finding and Edge Finding is Trend Finding
    nononsense's axiom

#27     May 6, 2005
  8. I suggest you read Marty Swartz's book Pit Bull. He addresses this subject and says it was the difference in his becoming a successful trader. Basically, his revelation was to understand that this game is about making money, not being right.

I heard Jim Cramer the other day say in his best year as a hedge fund manager, he took I believe it was $300 mill in losses. He also took $450 mill in winnings.

I think this issue is more of an experienced trader's problem, kind of like in golf there are certain swing flaws that are problems for better players, not hackers. A newbie is too scared to let a trade go too far against them. with experience you know that every trade has a large random element in it, so it becomes easier to "give it some room", etc. One technique I have found useful is to go through my trading logs and add up how much better off I would have been if I had kept all my exit points.

I also think there is some substance to the NLP approach, ie redefine winning in your mind to be following your trade methodology exactly.

#28     May 6, 2005
  9. Eaglstein

Eaglstein

Listen up Bud, Mark Cuban said it best. "No balls, No Glory." You want to win big. You need to be willing to lose big. You think Jordan got scared when he took the last shot of a big game. No, he just took the last shot. Straight up if your scared to lose you got self esteem issues. It's not your ego holding you back. It's your insecurities. If you lose it shouldn't matter because you'll bounce back. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. All a man is is the adversities he overcomes. If you never lose or fear losing than how much of a man are you?

#29     May 6, 2005
  10. My hat is off to you Lefty, it was very refreshing to see you respond in such a civilized manner. Thank you for being willing to self evaluate.

regards,

Bruce Hawkins

#30     May 6, 2005