Altucher

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by KevinK, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu

I'm still very much in the trenches. In fact, two systems from my book triggered last week. Both ended up successful: the QQQ Crash chapter and the bankruptcies chapter. Still very much working fortunately.

-James

#11     Sep 26, 2005
  2. The QQQ crash system does not seem to work in the earlier 90's, in my tests. Of course, there was no QQQ /QQQQ then, but I used the Nazdaq index as a prox.

#12     Sep 26, 2005
  3. Vishnu

Vishnu

I think the fact that there is a tradable index now makes a big effect on a system like that. People not only buying the underlying stocks but making macro bets on the index.

#13     Sep 26, 2005
  4. How did your hedge fund do?

#14     Sep 26, 2005
  5. James

I got tons of useful information out of your book, probably the best book on trading i have read. I was actually going over the Unilateral Pairs Trading this weekend on qqqq/spy. Like one of the previous posters said some of the systems don't trade frequently while volatility is low like this one. Would you make an adjustment for this? I was thinking instead of using a % gain/loss use X multiple of Average True Range as a filter.

Also I would like to point out to the previous poster that you don't have to be chained to the stock market. I plan on doing some research on currency and bond pairs in the near future.

Eric

#15     Sep 26, 2005
  6. would you mind providing links directly to the wealthlab pages you speak of? Having a hard time...thanks!

#16     Sep 26, 2005
  7. Vishnu

Vishnu

Eric, thanks!

In terms of the volatility of the markets - I think all of the systems in the book are starting points. I think there are hundreds of systems that can branch off of these and perhaps adjust by using paramters for volatility (I think using ATR is a good idea). I also think looking at currency pairs/bond pairs is a good idea. Might be interesting to do pairs based on diverging slopes of yield curves in different countries.
    - James

#17     Sep 26, 2005
  8. I think "Trade like a hedgefund" is a very good book. Lots of ideas and systems to look at and play with.

I think it's unrealistic to expect that a $25 book will provide you with highly profitable, super robust systems.

The value of the book is the concepts and (potentially) new ways of looking at things. It's often the smallest of ideas that will give you a new perspective on a methodology - those are the nuggets you should be looking for.

#18     Sep 26, 2005
  9. Cheese

Cheese

Amen.

#19     Sep 26, 2005
  10. Vishnu

Vishnu

my favorite writers who also invest:
    - Joel Greenblatt
    - Jim Cramer (doesn't invest a portfolio now but definitely paid his dues)
    - David Swenson ("Unconventional Success" is great)

The main criticism I even get from potential investors is, "why do you also write?" I sort of feel it keeps me real sharp on the latest strategies, it forces me to engage in a dialog with a lot of other hedge fund managers and traders, and ultimately it doesnt really take too much time. One less coffee break a day and I can belt out three pages.
    -James Altucher

#20     Sep 27, 2005