Alternatives to Wealthlab and Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bulat, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bulat

bulat

Are there any real alternatives for system developers to WealthLab and TradeStation? Both of these are tied to brokers, and Tradestation has an annoying monthly fee to boot.

I've been using Amibroker, but writing systems of any complexity in it is no picnic. I like what I saw in Wealthlab, but even that was somewhat limited, plus there is the whole Fidelity account crap.

Are there any good standalone alternatives out there?

bulat

2. Have you looked at Quantstudio -- www.smartquant.com ? It is fairly technical but could probably address most anyone's needs...

3. bulat

bulat

Have you used it? It does look interesting. I'd be curious as to how complicated it is to get started it (looks pretty dense). Also, are there any major limitations?

bulat

4. Probably the best way to get a feel for it is to download the demo and peruse the help boards.

5. Investor RT at www.linnsoft.com

6. fan27

fan27

Build your own. It really isn't that hard if you are already comfortable with programing strategies using off the shelf products. If you can get your hands on Visual Studio (For VB6) I would be willing to give you some VB code you can use as a starting point.

fan27

7. I'm working on one, but it takes a lot of work. It is taking different path. Instead of providing a pseudo language as system development tool, the system will be working through a plugin architecture that can be extended by anything written in .NET compatible languages. The downside is that it does require programming skills. If it's really hard to use, then a simplified domain language could be created to ease the development work.

Nowadays it's pretty easy to design and implement a new language with all the parsers available.

8. flakac

flakac

Anybody here doing trading system in Matlab? I do. It's a lot of work, a lot of programming.

9. Carl K

Carl K

10. #10     Mar 17, 2005