Alternatives to TradeStation?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Boulder, Feb 6, 2006.

1. to the best of my knowledge 30 right now

#51     Mar 14, 2006
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

Today i decided to go ahead after all and code a few strats in EasyLanguage from Tradestation. (I threw out the original book thinking i would never use it about 5 years ago).

Ok, i know how to trade but this coding will be new so please give me some slack. :D

I just started to read the free books on the TS website, ( i used to use TS charts but dropped them just recently, will get again in May) anyway i can not get to the HELP section.

Here is my first question: When the active bar is being scanned will the code be able to hit a price and create order AS THE BAR IS STILL in the time frame OR will a order only be created once the bar is completed? Surely i have not progressed enough to know this for sure..

This would not be so important on many strats for entry, BUT it would be VERY important for STOPS getting out. I would not want a STOP price to be passed up until the bar was completed and then be COMPARED to the previous bar.

Any help would be appreciated. Thks.........:) :D :)

#52     Mar 17, 2006
  3. This just arrived with Tradestation 8.1:
    intrabarOrderGeneration, IntraBarPersist

WIth the former, orders can be triggered on any TICK within a bar. If you are not careful and do not qualify your buy/sell order properly, this can get crazy with hundreds of potential CAR orders going off within minutes (cancel and replace).

With the latter, you can define variables which change on each TICK...i.e. close = the close of each tick.

You've got a fast CPU, right ?

#53     Mar 17, 2006
  4. syswizard,

Thks much. Am i understanding correctly that up until Build 8.1, that intrabar tick order generation was NOT available?

The cpu will be fast, right now 3.2 and will build a new one with next version of Intel dual core chip. later this year looks like roll out date for lots of new goodies.

Again thks for reply, surely i will have more down the road.

Sebring 12 hour race is on SPEED, AUDI has 2 doesel powedrd cars in the race.... :) :) :eek:

#54     Mar 18, 2006
  5. I printed out and read/reviewed the two free books from Tradestation website. Ok, there is more to it than what is in the 2 free books but it looks like coding is fine for basic strats. The tactics of managing the trade after it is filled is another story all together.

Discretionary and a combo of order entry looks more like the answer. but still i will try a couple. ...........:) :cool:

#55     Mar 20, 2006
  6. Yes, in fact, I believe it was not until Service Pack 1 of 8.1 that these new "features" became usable.
    Note: as with any new "feature", TEST THOROUGHLY BEFORE BETTING REAL MONEY.

#56     Mar 20, 2006